In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Threaded barrel on a Colt Woodsman?

The TinmanThe Tinman Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2006 in Ask the Experts
A neighborhood kid has a Colt Woodsman he wants to sell. He says it was his father's (The dad died a couple of months ago) and his dad has had the pistol for as long as he could remember. It is in pristine condition, no wear, even on the slide rails. It looks factory new, but the barrel protrudes about an inch past the front sight blade and about 3/4 of the protrusion is threaded. It actually looks like it was designed for a noise suppressor. The serial number is 144xxx, and according to a number/date chart, it looks like the pistol was manufactured in 1941.
Did the Woodsman ever come from the factory with a threaded barrel, or is this barrel an add-on?
He'd probably take a hundred bucks for it, as he thinks it's just an old .22. I'm thinking about $400 would be a fair price. How much does an aftermarket barrel affect the value?

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From your description the barrel MIGHT? be factory original. If so the pistol would be worth really big bucks.

A Colt "Letter" would set you back at least $100. It would be well worth that if it can be established the pistol left the factory with a threaded barrel.

Contact this lady for the letter.

Kathy Hoyt. Colt Historian. P.O. Box 1868, Hartford, CT 06144-1868

Regardless even at $400 you can't go wrong, if the pistol is in the condition you describe.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $400 in a heartbeat.
  • ripley16ripley16 Member Posts: 4,834
    edited November -1
    I've seen a suppressed Woodsman at the NSA, Fort Meade. They were used by the OSS in WWII. My guess is that it would be a very, (as in Thousands of dollars), valuable piece...quite rare.
  • The TinmanThe Tinman Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've known this kid for about 10 years. He's about 25 years old, and kind of a--how shall I put this--a druggie type. It's obvious that he doesn't comprehend the value of this pistol, but I don't want to rip him off, either. I just jumped on GB and looked at some of the Colt Woodsmen for sale, and saw that they ranged from $1800 to $300. I'm thinking that the threaded barrel is an aftermarket, and since it was made in the 1940's, I don't doubt that the father actually had a suppressor for it, as in the 40's and 50's, they were not illegal. LOL, I should describe a suppressor, and maybe the kid has that piece also, just doesn't know what it is. Of course, I'd explain to him that just the possession of such a device is a felony, and I'd destroy the suppressor immediately, but I don't want to put any ideas into his head that he could get big bucks selling the two to the wrong person. That's what I fear most is that he's going to sell the piece for a quick high, so I told him I'm interested in purchasing it.
    I'll try to get with him early next month and get some more info on the pistol. I remember there were some other words imprinted on the barrel and also on the side but I don't remember what. Like I said, I don't want to rip him off, but if this turns out to be a rare specimen, something I can't afford, I think I'd rather broker a deal with an honest collector who would give him a fair price. If it's simply an aftermarket barrel, and the original barrel cannot be found, then I've always wanted a Woodsman, something I can shoot, and not keep locked up as a safe-queen.
    I'll write a detailed letter to that Colt Historian regarding the barrel, once I find out the story, I'll post again.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    brier-49 and perry shooter,

With all due respect, once again I will remind the posters and the rest of the members that it is unacceptable to make offers of sale or trade on this forum.

You can most certainly contact the thread originator by e-mail but you may not make offers on this forum.

I am deleting your posts and letting this thread run until the maximum is reached or the poster is satisfied with the answers received. If this is a problem please feel free to contact me through my e-mail in my profile.

Best.