In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Saftey on Trigger - the new wave ?

gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2006 in Ask the Experts
First, I'm not discounting gun locks, they are excellent and necessary, I am just not mentioning them.

I consider a safety as prevention of an accidental discharge by causing you to take a deliberate separate step from just pulling the trigger to disengage the safety. If an inexperienced person comes along and picks up my 1911, and pulls the trigger it will not discharge, because the safety is on. Or, when Uncle Bob crosses my fence and the trigger gets pulled by a twig or loose end of barbed wire, it will not discharge because the saftey is on. You know the list goes on.....

There are handguns where the 'safety' is a small blade extending through the trigger. When you insert a finger into the trigger guard, the safety is dis-engaged by your finger lying near or against the trigger. I may be slow, but I have noticed long guns having this same 'inside the trigger' safety.

I can see advantages to this set-up for select uses...for me it is like not having a safety at all. Since I do not currently own a gun with this style of safety, am I missing something in the way it operates ?

Thanks in advance for the education.

Comments

• Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Or, learn how to operate whatever gun you have in a safe manner, and remember that the one true safety is in that round thing sitting on top of your neck....
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you're referencing the Clock type safety - correct? I don't own a Glock, the closest I come to that type of gun is Beretta 9000S and a CZ 97B. DA but with conventional safeties, everything else I have is DA revolver or 1911s.

I wouldn't consider them a safety, but they must serve some purpose even if it's only to satisfy a liability concern promulgated by our personal injury attorney friends. But perhaps someone with precise info can inform us.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I consider the trigger "safety" worse than a joke. If a safety has value it is to prevent a child from finding a loaded firearm and pulling the trigger, for to prevent a twig from snagging your rifle trigger and fireing it. A trigger safety is a non-existant safety.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    The Glock or XD safeties are similar to carrying a double-action revolver. Like iwannausername advised, use your head before your finger.
  • Options
    Dak To 68Dak To 68 Member Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't find a way to like the Glock trigger safety but have a couple of cop buds that swear by it.
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies .....
    As far as using my head, it has been 40 years since my first, and last, AD.

IT'S NOT ME I'M WORRIED ABOUT .... IT'S THE GUY NEXT TO ME.

My only hands on knowledge of this type of safety is limited to about an hour at the range using a borrowed handgun.

My take it from the responses .......It is no better than I thought it was.....worse than nothing.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I must admit your replies all came from the choir. I would like to hear from someone who likes them, exactly how they preceive them to be an advantage.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Kahr is starting to use these "Glock" safeties. I personally like my conventional safeties or my CZ with a DeCocker, carry one in the hole, but it needs much more than just a tap for it to fire. Almost a double action pull. This may also sound wierd, but my Taurus when loaded the trigger returns to the full front position, there is a lot of trigger takeup, but after it it taut, it takes very little to fire. It does have a conventional safety, but I like the long take-up as a kind of secondary safety.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    pitdan104pitdan104 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey guys you wanted some one who likes them
    i have been tooling around with buying a new gun and i finally did today but i have been shooting my buddies xd and thats what i baught . the trigger has the safety "blade" in it but also like the 1911 has a grip safety if the grip is not depressed the trigger will not operate
    i could see with out the grip safety it being nothing more then another step to go through before shooting and obsolete

Thats my opinion on the subject
  • Options
    jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    Used as a concealed carry piece, then I find the Glock trigger safety to be pointless, useless and a waste. I much prefer the safety on my KelTec P-11 to the Glock's.

Ben
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alot of the AD you see/hear about with the Glock type safety seem to happen when the shooter is pulling the gun out of the holster -- and they put their finger in the trigger guard while pulling it out of the holster.
    I saw a guy ( a cop at that) shoot himself in the side of the foot at a range one time doing that with a glock 9mm -- He wasn't in my group of people but was a couple of benches down the line and practicing his "quickdraw" with a friend.
    I personally don't like those type and think they are the worst type around young shooters.