In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rust removal?

shooter93shooter93 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
edited October 2006 in Ask the Experts
Awhile ago several people posted ways to remove minor rust from firearms without hurting the bluing. I have forgotten their suggestions so I'd like to hear them again. I ended up in the Hospital the day after I got back from Zimbabwe and wasn't able to clean my rifles right away. the double Rifle has one very minor spot I'd like to remove. The stock dings....I'm leaving them as memories.

Comments

• Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
  • Options
    jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    0000 steel wool and gun oil like Rem. oil. Lightly rub. Will remove most surface rust without harming the bluing.

Ben
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    hello take a handfull of pennies and use the edge to scrub the rusted parts it will remove rust without hurting the blue May leave a brass colored barrel this can be cleaned off with BORE CLEANER . you can also use 0000 steel wool or brass wool with hoppe's #9 or KROIL
  • Options
    drsckdrsck Member Posts: 992
    edited November -1
    No steel wool and no pennies, although pennies are better than steel wool. The process which will remove the most rust without damaging the surviving metal is to use bronze wool (like steel wool only made of bronze which is softer than steel) and a good quality oil product such as kano kroil, Ballistol, Rig #2, or even G96. Rub gently with plenty of oil and then wipe with a soft cloth, avoid paper towels. Repeat as necessary to get as much rust as possible removed. Best of luck -- Steve
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    I use brake free and a brass brush.
  • Options
    MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 3,012
    edited November -1
    I just got done using this stuff:

http://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

to clean up an old milsurp rifle, and it wipes off rust and paint like they were wet and it was a paper towel. Didn't touch the bluing, even the real thin stuff left on the buttplate after decades of use. It also nicely scrapes out rust and lead and any other corruption you can put in a barrel.

I just wish I'd heard of it years ago, could've saved me a lot of work!
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stainless steel wool and rem-oil. Will not harm the blue.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used the sharp edge of the mouth of a brass cartridge case and oil for heavier rust scraping.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the bronze wool and Breakfree but the product MrOrange mentions sounds promising. AFTER you have gotten the rust off, you have to protect the spot. You can use a bluing pen for touch up, but the rust will continue. You can s l o w it way down by using a hard carnuba wax like Trewax or by using Iosso Gun Brite.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I use magnesium wool and breakfree.