In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ak-47 question

hellfirehellfire Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
edited June 2007 in Ask the Experts
Hi,

I'm buying another AK-47 in a week or so. So I started looking around and have come down to two gun dealers I want to buy from. One dealer has a Romanian and the other has a Bulgarian, and both makes are the same price.

So my question is witch make is better, Romanian or Bulgarian?

Thanks.

Comments

• hellfirehellfire Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I AM LOOKING TO BUY A AK-47 7.62X39, MY QUESTION IS WHICH ONES ARE BEST, IE. RUSSIAN,ROMANIAN,CHINESE,ETC.. SHOULD I GO NEW OR USED AND WHAT IS A GOOD PRICE FOR A GOOD QUALITY AK?
    THANKS FOR ANY INPUT...
    edited November -1
    I AM LOOKING AT A AK-47 MADE BY ARSENAL USA, IT WAS RECCOMENDED TO ME AS A GOOD MODEL(SSR-56). THEY ARE USA MADE WITH HUNGARIAN, BULGARIAN AND U.S. PARTS. DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE OR INFO. ON THIS MODEL? IT IS SOLD BY GLOBAL TRADES ON THE NET.
    edited November -1
    I am wanting to swap out my furniture on my AK and I am not quite sure as how to remove the bottom forend. I can get the stock off and the top forend but I am just not sure about the bottom.
    Do I tap it gently from above and just work it down or is there something else I do?
    edited November -1
    i heard that with the ak-47 if you shoot to many rounds out of it that it will get so hot that the rounds in the mag will go off. is this true?
    edited November -1
    I thoght the SAR-1
    WASR-10 same type of gun plese help
    edited November -1
    I have herd of a malfunction on a AK-47 called a Stovepipe jam. What is a Stovepipe jam? and how do you clear it?

flag.gif
    navylogo.gif
    awcountdown.gifhttp://www.awbansunset.com/awbGraphic.gif

logo2.gifwww.operationdearabby.net
  • SuburbanNoizeSuburbanNoize Member Posts: 10,142
    edited November -1
    i put 400-500 rounds down range with min in less than hour, not one problem, no rounds going off that shouldnt have, and not one malfunction. the ak-47 is basically a machine gun. the selector has two settings, full, and semi, unlike our great m-16, semi, 3 round burst, and in the case of the m4, semi, burst, full auto.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might catch the forend wood on fire.
    You might cet the chamber hot enough to experance a round "cooking off" (firing due to heat from the barrel)
    But I highly doubt that you will ever get one hot enough to set off the rounds in the magazine (short of dropping the weapon/mag into a blazing fire and leaving it there)
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A real AK in fully automatic mode will eat a full magazine worth of ammo if the barrel gets hot enough to "cookoff", as you don't need a mammer drop to ignite a primer to set off the round.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    If you're cooking off rounds, it makes no difference what setting the selector lever is on. Makes no difference if you have the trigger depressed or not. Open bolt firing was designed with cook-off in mind. No round in the chamber to cook off. I've seen cook off's of m1919 mg's (closed bolt system). The rate of fire is much slower than normal cyclic rate. Best, Joe
  • gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, as Tailgunner, I've smelled a bit of woodsmoke with the hot metal/oil/powderburn aroma mix.

Never had one cook off, but never left the opportunity.
    Leaving a live shell in the chamber is not proper AK etiquette !
  • ltslts Member Posts: 811 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    once upon a time at the farm in ny where you can have semi only, we ran with an oven mit for the forearm hand until we could no longer hold the then new norinco mak-90. 4 10 round mags, 4 75 round drums, and last but not least, 11 30 rounders. that sucker ran without a hitch as it dripped and changed color. after it cooled it put 30 on a pizza box off hand at 120 yds. nice shooter fer sure![:D]
  • kriskris Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i had the barrel smoking..but not one problem with any round..not to hyjack the thread but does anybody know where to get a 5-6 round mag for a romanian ak? would like to get one to comply with deer hunting ammo limit here in Michigan
  • tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Givette, I may had read your post wrong but the AK47 DOES NOT fire from open bolt as does the "greasegun". However if you get a gun so hot as to "cookoff" a round, it will probably blow the gun up. The round explodes instead of a controlled shot like ingniting the primer by firing pin. If I am wrong, please let me know.

Tailgunner, way back in time when firing the quad MA duce AAA, it was pretty important to make sure that when a gun quit firing, you got the round out pretty darn quick if the gun was hot!! Tom

givette, I just reread your reply about witnessing cookoffs. Did the range safety officer let the gunner live who let the gun cookoff?? Tom

PS. please fill us in about all this cooking off guns. I am really interested. T
  • Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, I think when you get to the point that the gun is cookin off, the gun is going to have some serious probs.

Then again its an AK[:D]
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Hi, Tccox: givette here. Open bolt...I was just explaining changes in design to eliminate "cook-off". As in M60 type system. I know AK is closed bolt system.

Had to chuckle on your second question. Range safety officer? I was shooting the "lite-30" toward where I knew the concertina was located. We ran out of pop-flares. No more claymores. No more luck (seemed at the time). '30 barrel glowing red. I stopped firing when Spooky arrived overhead. Don't remember how many cans I went through, but there were a lot of empties next morning. That's my cookoff experience. Joe