In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.17 HMR Rifles

holyghostloveholyghostlove Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited June 2007 in Ask the Experts
In my quest of searching for the perfect rifle I've finally decided to go with a .17 HMR, but being brand new to the shooting world I'm lost in which .17 rifle to choose. The Two brands I've been closely inquiring are CZ and Savage. Money isn't an issue as long as the quality is their, meaning I don't want to spend x amount of dollar for only brand name. One rifle I've been swayed towards is a CZ 452. I appreciate all the input and if anyone has another brand they would prefer for a .17 would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    I really like my savage 93fv in 22 mag, I'm sure the 17 version is nice. Spend the difference in the gun price on glass...
  • Options
    godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as always i always talk up savage the last member bhas a point. i own the 93 fv in 17 it is super.
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While the Savage is a great rifle, I do think the CZ is the bargain for the buck. The accuarcy out of the box is fantastic, and they usually put nice piece of wood on them for a stock. I have several CZ 452's and a couple of Savages, and the CZ's will out perform the Savages any day.
    You would not be sorry with a CZ.
  • Options
    Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the CZ 452 Varmint in 17 HMR. I really can't say much about it other than it has an excellent trigger, is extremely accurate and has nicely finished blued steel with a wood stock. If you buy one & like shooting tight groups - you'll be happy with the CZ. No knock on the Savage, it's a nice rifle also.
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Whats the checkering like on the CZ's? What I have seen on the Savages I don't like, Marlins either. Whats a good price for a SS bull bbl.? Another question, are any of them drilled and tapped, or dovetail only.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CZ doesn't make a stainless rifle - pretty sure about that. Checkering is very good on the grip but the forend of the HB target model is without checkering.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot the CZ 452 with the heavy barrel. At 100 yards in a light wind we were shooting golf balls and we went 25 for 25. IMO that is pretty good for a 17hmr at 100 yards. I did not get the chance to shoot it on papaer. Nice trigger and well balanced. I like the fit & finish better than the Savages I have held. The CZ is accurate, well built and doesn't cost a mint. I think you would be very happy with it.
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The checkering on Savages is press checkering, while the CZ has cut checkering. Some of the earlier CZ's had pretty crude checkering IMO, but they have gotten much better, and I haven't seen a bad one in years. CZ does make a Stainless rifle but only in 22 LR. I use a CZ American in 17 HM2 for my leauge rifle. With an Eric Brookes Trigger ($15) I have a very clean crisp 6oz trigger. The factory trigger is good, but for $15 add the Brookes. Good luck with what ever you decide.
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    I have the CZ American in 17 HMR , I'm very happy with it , after shooting it for awhile I sold my Marlin in 22mag, if you like a solid rifle , you will like the CZ