In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

EXTRACTOR, WHY?

BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have a Taurus PT22. It is a DAO with a tip up barrel. I noticed that it has no extractor, yet it extracts and ejects every time. Of course, you have to tip the barrel to remove an unfired round.
I also had a Star 40 automatic. The extractor failed and the gun would not extract or eject a fired round. Why will the Taurus operate fine with no extractor, but the Star would not?

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    Taurus copied Beretta design that also doesn't use any extractor. I guess they figure you only need it to eject a live round and that with the tip up barrel you can just pull it out.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beretta designed/engineered there pistols, to extract their fired casings by using residual gas pressure only. The Star on the other hand was specifically designed to operate with a manual extractor. Without manual extraction, the pistol wouldn't function correctly.
  • Options
    king999king999 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two factors are involved.(1) A high pressure round expands and is held tightly by the chamber sides while the low pressure round barely expands to chamber dimensions. (2) Timing is a factor. With a "locked breach" action the round is not free of the chamber until the bullet has left the bbl, and there is no reverse pressure to remove the case. In the 22 you describe, the case blows out at the same time the bullet is leaving the bbl. There is adequate reverse pressure to blow the case out.
    Despite my analysis, be aware that SOME "locked" guns will extract without the extractor. For one the Nambu T-14 will function quite well without the extractor.
    Morty
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .22 is blowback operated. The cartridge case becomes a piston, pushing the slide back. It doesn't have to be pulled out, 20,000 psi of gas pressure is driving it back, until it hits the ejector.

The .40 is recoil operated. The barrel is locked to the slide until the bullet leaves the barrel and the chamber pressure drops off. Then the barrel stops but the slide keeps going back. There is nothing to get the empty out of the chamber but the extractor hook in the slide.
  • Options
    BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HAWK CARSE, you win first prize for the best answer. Your reply makes sense to me. King 999 gets second place with good info.
    The others failed to grasp the question.
    Thanks for the insight.