In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45acp for small deer?

travis3travis3 Member Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
edited June 2007 in Ask the Experts
Has anyone used the 45acp on small whitetail deer? How did it perform and what load were you using? [:)]

Comments

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Deer have been killed with just about very round ever made- but check your state games laws. Too light in energy to use (legally) here.
  • Options
    Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    45 is called a good manstopper, has to be a good deerstopper with some good HP rounds...make a good shot.

What gun are you using?
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    out of a carbine like a camp carbine (marlin), AR or FAL conversion, or the mauser kits rhineland arms used to sell i'd think it would be good out to 100 yards...
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    BUNCHES with 200 grain SEMI WADCUTTER loaded to 900 FPS + or - cuts a big nice hole and then starts to expand to QUARTER size.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Here all they care is that your slug is .357 or larger.
  • Options
    PC800PC800 Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in Virginia it just has to have more than 350 ft lbs of energy and be larger than .23. So I guess a hot 45 acp like a 185 grain +P would be legal.
  • Options
    travis3travis3 Member Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information. I have both a 1911 and a Ruger Black Hawk. Would like to hear more if there is anyone else wanting to put in thier two cents worth.
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A buddy of mine killed a large doe at 15 feet with his 1911. The does ran about 50 yards and collapsed. It was a good fatal hit and would have put a human down where it stood, but deer are much different and can run 200 yards without a heart.
    I would say be close or get a bigger gun like a 357 or a 44.
    Oh yea......use hollow points !
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,590 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know several LEO's in my area that have put down wounded Whitetails with service ammo .45 ACP. 185 or 230 Gr. JHP.
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read an article where the author indicated that the miniminum pistol cartridge for deer hunting should fire a 40 cal bullet of 200 grains or more at more than 1000 fps. The author also indicated that a good hot 357 might be ok too. .45 ACP was marginal as you really are pushing it to get a 200 grain slug to 1000 fps in .45 ACP.

I think I would vote against hollow points as that reduces penetration and with a 45 at less than 1000 fps you will want as much penetration as you can get and a .45 hole is pretty big already.

I would say you should be sure about your ability to put the slug in the kill zone. I expect this must be a short range opportunity.

Tim