In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

magazine capacity problem

mauidivermauidiver Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
edited June 2007 in Ask the Experts
I bought an AMT lightning pistol with 3 mags. one day at the range I realized they held 12 rounds instead of the ten I thought they held.
this,as it turns out is a felony in my state. They are Ramline plastic mags. and I have'nt been able to find them anywhere on line.
So my question(s) are. Were they meant to hold 12 or is that just a fluke or mistake on the makers part.[?] And if I fill the base with epoxy to limit the capacity would they then be legal; I live in hawaii.

Comments

• Options
    glockmattglockmatt Member Posts: 129 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know Ramline's specs.
    AMT Lightening was discontinued in the 90's after being sued by Ruger. The normal mag capacity is 10 rounds. Sounds like the 12 rounds are a fluke. Just load 10 in it. If you epoxy the mag, you may ruin it. I doubt the State of Hawaii is going to watch how many .22 rimfire can can shove in your mag.
  • Options
    mauidivermauidiver Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The land is state, leased by the county and operated by the club; Valley isle sport-shooters. On such a small island it's not uncommon to have some cops shooting at the range with you and there's been some talk about them watching for just such things, Indeed a local gun smith was shut down for awhile after a shooter was seen using a hi-cap mag. at the range and then found to have several more on consignment with the gunsmith. I'd much rather ruin the magazines than face a felony charge.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pop the bottom off the mag (or otherwise remove the internals). Make up a spacer block that's about 1 1/2 times as thick as 2 rounds of ammo would be inside the mag. Insert the spacer either above or below the spring and re-assemble.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one of the Ramline, plastic extended capacity magazines. It was very unconventional in that the spring was a flat "ribbon" type, not a conventional magazine spring. I believe the plastic magazine would have to be physically cut open, to get at the innards, to block the capacity to 10 rounds.
  • Options
    4440rk4440rk Member Posts: 495 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not sure about taking those mags apart either. One way to fix the capacity problem is to measure up from the bottom of mag the distance of two shells and drill a hole from side to side near front of mag and one near back of mag and use roll pins and just pin it so follower cannot go to bottom of mag. I have done that on AR 30rd mags to make them 5rd legal for hunting here in SD.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sure wish Mark was still around here, as I would defer to him on these issues of legality, but in my opinion, you had better send them to the mainland, and quick. As I understand it, states do not accept a modified magazine that lowers the capacity to be legal, regardless of how effective the capacity block is! All you would have is a 12 round magazine that has been non-factory and likely termporarily modified to be legal...i.e. they might not be inclined to believe the mag was modified for altruistic purposes even if it REDUCES the capacity. You are in one of the hairier states in terms of these issues, especially after the UPS (or was it Fed-X? Can't recall) shootings of several years ago on the big island. That's my take on it, what say the rest of you?