In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sage EBR vs Troy SOPMOD & SOPMOD 2

Mk23Mk23 Member Posts: 127 ✭✭
edited June 2007 in Ask the Experts
I know close to nothing about either system, and the board is titled 'ask the experts' after all.

Opinions?

Comments

• Options
    catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    The sage is extremely heavy. I don't know the exact weight, but I'd say you come close to doubling the weight of the rifle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay, from what I've been getting on other boards, it seems that:

The Troy Modular Chassis System/SOPMOD 2 is the heavier chassis, but does have a full length top rail, and the stock repositioned for a better cheek weld with optics (AR-15 style). It can also fit a heavy barrel, and any AR-15 stock and handgrip.

The Sage EBR CQB would require a seperate cantilevered sight base to mount optics outside of a 'scout mount' positioning. The Sage also isn't compatable with standard A2 stocks, or Magpul PRS stocks, or any non-collapsing AR-15 stock that require the receiver notch point. The Sage also only fits standard mil-spec barrels, and not medium or heavy barrels. But... the Sage is also lighter than the MCS/SOPMOD 2.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thought you were talking about the Sage EBR for the M14/M1A.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am. The Troy's apparently even heavier.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My brother has a SOCOM 16 on the Sage EBR chassis. It's a solid, well built stock with plenty of rail space for any accessories you'd care to mount. The but stock is adjustable for both length and height. It does add considerable weight to the muzzle, even with the 16 inch barrel, but this does help control muzzle climb during rapid fire. If you want to convert back to the std. stock is sort of a pain because there's a mounting bracket for the EBR that requires removal of the gas block to install and uninstall, so a quick swap is nonexistent. On a side note (and a worthless point of interest), the Sage EBR does have a cut-out to accommodate the M14's select fire switch.

Edit: There is another company that makes a "Tactical" pistol grip stock for the M14/M1A, I foret who they are but I will do some research and post my findings.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thet are HEAVY
    Require toolsto remove.
    If you want rails., get the VLTOR or Knight for a USGI synthetic stock.

CP
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Weight isn't much of an issue for me. As even without the extra weight, an M1A wouldn't be my first choice to hump for an extended period, and I already HAVE the rifle that would be my first choice.

But if there's other alternatives out there I would be very interested in seeing them. The VLTOR looks promising.