In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

how do you tell ivory from plastic?

bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
edited June 2007 in Ask the Experts
how do you tell if something is ivory or plastic w/o destroying someones gun? like...at a gun show? where do you look to find clues?
Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Former NSSA All American
Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
MO, CT, VA.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hey Bobski send your item to me for testing If plastic I will send $10.00 back and keep item if Ivory I will send you $11.00 [:p][:p][:p] Other wise The way I test is with a opened/straightened paper clip and torch. Find a place like the back side of the grips heat the paper clip red hot with the torch and then touch the item you want to test if it melts and smells like plastic burning then it is not Ivory. On the other hand if it has that wonderful aroma that you smelled when the dentist was drilling a tooth when you were a kid[xx(][xx(] or when you burned your eye brows off playing with Gasoline[:0] then it is most likely Ivory or powdered ivory mixed with other stuff. . Ivory will never feel cold to you grip. but smell like hair or horn when heated very hot..If it is on someone elses pistol He most likely will not let you test and then it is almost like being able to tell if a gun is reblued a good fake ivory is hard to detect. and experience looking and feeling real and fake is the only way to get good at it . real ivory if polished or worn by handling will almost have translucent look while powdered ivory will look more like the inside of Sheetrock.EDIT #2 [:D][:D]Bobski Measure the size of the piece you need I buy grips and scrap from NUTMEG sports I might Have a piece big enough That I will give you [:D][:D]
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Real ivory has grain. Most modern plastics don't.
    Bill
    www.billdeshivs.com
  • Options
    modocmodoc Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Bobski,,you sold me a REAL pair of IVORY..Best way to tell aside from grain structure, which can as has been faked, is that real ivory NEVER is at room temperature..Not even if it never leaves the ROOM.. I'll do you one better,,I'll give you 20 bucks on all that are real and charge you zip for the advice.. Sorry Perry shooter,,had to up the price..modoc
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i have a grip cap that looks like ivory. the back of it has what appears to be band saw cuts where it was cut. i'll try the flame thing. it came off of a winchester model 40 skeet gun but isnt a factory design and its poorly executed. but if its ivory, wonder what a chip of it is worth the size of a grip cap?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dear MODOC, let's nip this old wives tale right now. You know ivory is just a piece of bone - any substance will reach the temperature of the environment in which it is stored if you leave it there for a while. Your statement is scientifically unsupportable. Think about what you said - does it make sense?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bobski, forget the old wives tales. To determine, you pick a very inconspicuous spot and touch with a very hot pin. Plastic melts, enamel (which ivory is, not bone) will burn a tiny spot, but not melt.
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    perry and Hedog are on target. Ivory is no way the same as bone. I have made grips from both and are very different materials. Small piece of ivory as described is worth little. I have pounds of scrap ivory - also worth little. What it is made for, such as a Winchester item may make it worth something. Like beauty (eye of beholder), depends on how bad the wanter/needer wants or needs it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for everyones advice. look for my grip cap on auction! i dont need it. its just taking up space.[:)]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.