In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage 99 help

Vince17857Vince17857 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited June 2007 in Ask the Experts
I am trying to identify which Savage 99 I have and approximate year. It has a 24" taper barrel, .300 Savage and only says Model 99 on top of receiver. On the barrel it says Savage Arms Corporation, Chicopee Falls, Mass. Serial number is 7452XX. Any help would be appreciated. I can include pictures of any part of gun if needed.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Just took in a Savage 99E Series A in .30o Savage caliber. Could someone tell us when this gun was made .. Thank you.

Buy a Livestrong Band today and support cancer research !!
  • Options
    jarjar Member Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The serial # and address style points to a model of 99 known as EG but I really need more info. whats the forarm look like? dose it have a little knuckle out on the end? whats the buttstock look like? are either of the stocks checkered?and most importantly on the frame just in front of the lever where it bolts to the gun there is a small circle with a letter and a number this is a leverboss code that will tell just when the gun was made. the gun you have is a piece of history and a work of art take care of it and it will always bring you pleasure. give us more info Vince, good luck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the response jar. I have attached some pics. That will answer most of your questions. The letter/number combo is I3. Thank you again for your input.

654335246_3a10fe2bb9_m.jpg654335238_190123407a_m.jpg654335204_a97fc0b7e2_m.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I made a mistake on the letter boss code. It is 13F
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jeeze Charlie!!!...Long-winded as usual....(Good to see ya [8D])...
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Stith mount alone is worth in the $150 range, better on a good day.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey vince, your 99 is a model 99 EG its one of the more commonly found models around today. it looks very nice in the pics, has there been any refinishing done? if not youve got a good one! as njretcop states it was made in 1954, the eg model was made from 1935 to 1960 (murrays). and as hedog said the scope mount and scope will bring a premium, although here in mid mo the scope and mount would bring closer to $250.00 alone. the gun you have if not refinished will also bring a premium compared to an average 99 eg, but at any rate enjoyits a bueatiful piece of working art. I know I have a couple of cabinets of them myself !
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There has been no refinishing done here. It is a hand me down and has been stored for the last 20 years atleast. Thanks again jar. Looks like it is a keeper for me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sounds good Vince, if you decide it has to go I have a home for it! good luck.