In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

reliability battle

akfanatikakfanatik Member Posts: 580 ✭✭✭
edited June 2007 in Ask the Experts
the ak47 is renowned to be one of, if not the most reliable military firearm. how does the FAL compare to this, is it as reliable or even close??

Comments

• iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    It is up there... 12,000+ rounds with the only "cleaning" being a few trips into a mud puddle...

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68486

Think falfiles.com is reg-only these days (spammer probs) but you can register to read all the gory details.
  • Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    I have also seen HK G3/91 go several thousand rounds without a cleaning. No gas system sure helps sometimes.
  • mr_floppymr_floppy Member Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd have to give the award to the AK vs the FAL,

The gas system on the AK is just that, there's no adjustments (Just simple meat and bones), and a occasional FAL issue is FTE. That's the first thing asked in trouble shooting a Fal is check the gas tube for looseness or play.

The fact that an AK receivers were made out of sheet metal after the Soviets figured out they could do it cheaper that way. They beat the FAL there just for keeping most of the machine shop processes so simple.

The difference between the bolts / extractor. Ak can be dissembled with a small punch or a pin, the FAl gets a bit trickier with extractor removal (But its do-able). A more specialized tool is preferred.

I think the AK even has fewer springs in it's design.

I own each, love them both. But the AK is just so low tech, you have to appreciate the simplicity of the design. Fal is just more engineered and better refined.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    MrFloppy - I chose the FAL *for* the adjustable gas system. I like being able to turn it nearly off when shooting LC Match ammo, so my brass either stays in the gun or just drops right next to me. Being able to crank the gas open more when the gun is really dirty (or the ammo is really cheap, low quality) is nice as well. Only FTE I've seen with several FALs, from many makers - belgian, imbel, DCI with G1 kit, Century, etc - has been on brand "new" guns where the gas system hasn't been adjusted yet. Of course, if needed, you can just crank that gas open and it will work the first time every time... or you can take the 10-20 rounds to adjust it so it is "proper" and enjoy reduced recoil and reduced wear & tear on the gun....
  • FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've just got to speak to this subject. No matter what kind of firearm you have, it is highly recommended by anyone with any experience other than plinking or target practice, that you clean your bore and action after a firing session. Not doing so is kind of kin to leaving your pocket knife in your wadefishing jeans for two or three days because it is hard to get you hand in your pocket when your pants are wet. If you get my drift!

Sheesh.