In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

steyr daimler manlicher

kvervalkverval Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
Hi to all
Thanks to all that responded to my last post
I have a steyr daimler puch ag steyer bolt action rifle with double set triggers and a schmidt bender 4x36 scope. The stock does go to the end of the barrel and has a hooded sight at the end of the barrel. The bolt lever looks like a curved spoon. The floor plate says stoeger arms and steyer. the barrel has a marking of on m3170-s+lf3 and a serial number of 44xxx. The bore looks big enough to stop a buick.
The rifle looks to be in excellent condition. I am trying to identify model, caliber, age, value.
Thanks to all as your help is appreciated. Kevin
ADDED INFO rear sight has a fixed and flip up option, scope front mount on top, rear on top left side of action, safety on top of bolt, thumb switch below bolt on rear of action. no caliber on left side of barrel only two proof marks and number 64 which is is identical marks on the left front of action,20" barrel,bolt release on left rear of action, back of bolt round with screw in center.

Comments

• Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The model and caliber should be marked on the receiver ring and is quite likely concealed by the scope mount. Although some rifle models were full stocked, most likely you have a carbine with a 20" barrel.

Stoeger imported the Mannlicher Schoenauer rifles up until the 1970's, maybe even later. Since your's is marked Stoeger I would imagine you have an earlier but probably post WWII gun. Value will depend on model, caliber, originality and condition. They are not inexpensive guns.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I second Herschels take on this one. Is the scope a side mount? In my experience the caliber designation on these should be in the left side of the barrel/chamber area just above the wood. If it looks like it could stop a Buick I would guess it might be chambered in one of the 9.3mm rounds so popular in Europe, but that is just a guess since it was imported into the states, an american caliber would be more likely.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    kverval, The carbine having two safeties rules out the possibility that it is a pre-WWII gun. The early ones only had the safety on the bolt that is very similar to those on the 1898 Mauser and 1903 Springfield. The post war models were the 1950, 1952, 1956 and MCA that came out in about 1961. The 1950 model has a slim buttstock with a cheekpiece and a blued bolt handle that is turned straight down. (I am not absolutely sure about the features on the 1952). It is similar to the 1950. The 1956 model has a radical stock with severly scooped out cheekpiece and bolt handle that is in the white and swept slightly toward the back. The 1961 MCA model has a monte carlo buttstock and the same bolt as the 1956. The MCA model came drilled and tapped for scope mounts on the receiver ring and on the left side of the split bridge. Redfield made a two piece scope base that would fit the MCA holes. Others may have made their own mounts to fit it too. If you can remove the scope base from the receiver ring all the info you have been seeking should be visible. I sold my eleven Mannlicher Schoneaurs many years ago and am going from memory. I would not be surprised if someone pointed out that some of my descriptions are incorrect.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stoeger also supplied these rifles and carbines in .338 Win Mag,8mmx68 Mag and .458Win for stopping Buicks and Edsels.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    kverval, I just went back and checked my serial number list for Mannlicher-Schoenauers I owned. One MCA model was numbered 40990 and another MCA was numbered 46002. Since your serial numbers falls between these I am confident that you have an MCA model carbine. Your original post mentioned a large bore. One of mine was chambered in .358 Win. I believe the three calibers mentioned by v35 were only available in the rifle model.

You can go to google and do a search for Mannlicher Schoenauer. The first link that comes up on the list will take you to a site that may contain information of use to you.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The larger calibers cited above were offered on magnum actions in both short stock and full length Mannlicher style stocks.