In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How does "Dry Firing" cause damage?

MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have always been told not to dry fire a firearm as it would damage the firing pin.

What are the mechanics of the system that impart the damage on the firing pin?

Thanks
Regards, MAALOX

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is usually a shoulder machined on the firing pin, that limits movement. Repeated dry firing has a tendency to either crack or break the firing pin at this point. There are many variables that affect firing pin damage. Some handguns are much more susceptible then others. The first time I broke a Nambu firing pin,it dawned on me why they carried a spare firing pin in the holster.
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is really important on rimfire guns because the firing pin actually strikes the face of the chamber, and it can cause a small dent in the face, or break the firing pin.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a rule of thumb, dry firing is not a good idea. But, many firearms, like the Mauser 98, are reasonably proof against such damage. Still I wouldn't dry fire one fifty times in a row. Which guns in particular are you curious about.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Many revolvers have a recoil shield I have seen these Peened out to a point that you could not load and turn the cylinder on 22 rim fires the pin should be the correct length to not contact the back of the barrel but when you dry fire a lot the shoulder that Rufe-Snow talks about can also be peened and then the firing pin will dent the barrel this on semi auto 22's will lead to failure to fully chamber a round because of the burr in the chamber failure to fire because the rim has no barrel to support the rim of the cartridge at point of contact if it does fully chamber and if it does fire it may not extract or break the extractor because the burr in the barrel. It was once thought that dry firing would not hurt a 1911 type pistol that has an inertia firing pin with a return spring but many firing pin retainer blocks crack if you dry fire a lot Better to just buy some snap caps if you want to dry fire.
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two hand guns and the manual state that dry firing is ok! Rule of thumb is don't dry fire your weapon.

Emmett
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've broken several Baby Browning .25 firing pins by repeated dry firing. The pin itself doesn't strike anything.
    Steel can become work hardened and embrittled from hammering.
  • Options
    glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In addition to possible firing pin damage, some hammer guns have been known to snap off their hammer spur due to dry firing. The hammer stops more suddenly if there is no primer to strike causing the spur to vibrate slightly. Eventually this vibration causes a stress fracture usually right at the edge of the knurling.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Dry Firing is the best practice for a serious competition shooter. When I was shooting four position small boar I would dry fire from position for 2 to 3 hours every day. That is why Anschutz provides a dry fire firing pin for many of their competition rifles. I personally used a spare bolt for my 40X that was set up for dry fire.
  • Options
    MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the responses

quote:Originally posted by ern98
    As a rule of thumb, dry firing is not a good idea. But, many firearms, like the Mauser 98, are reasonably proof against such damage. Still I wouldn't dry fire one fifty times in a row. Which guns in particular are you curious about.

Mostly semi-auto hand guns. Glock, SA XD. My P99 has a decocker so that is an easy one:-)

I Purchased a Kel-Tec PF-9 a couple weeks ago and after taking it to the range twice and cleaning it for the third time I decided this was not the most robust weapon made. I dry fired it after cleaning and this got me to thinking about possible damage. Now I don't sit there and dry fire it over and over, but I have been working the slide to get used to the functionality and wanted to make sure I wasn't causing any damage.

What about "Snap Caps"?
    Regards, MAALOX
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Except for rim fires, the occasional dry fire won't hurt. However sustained dry firing can cause some damage over time.
    Most bolt rifles can have their firing pins let down gently (hold the trigger back as you lower the bolt handle).
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Snap caps are a shock absorber. Perry shooter mentioned it above. (Last sentence of his post). Best, Joe
  • Options
    Old FoolOld Fool Member Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brownell's, Midway USA, etc have all of the snap caps that you could ever want[:)] Just do not confuse snap caps with action proving dummies.

OldFool.jpg