In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help! Winchester model 70 safety

hasbeenhasbeen Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
hello all--As usual, I am turning to the experts when stumped on a problem!
I recently acquired a Winchester model 70 in 7mm Remington mag. and the safety will not move from the fire position.
Does anyone have any knowledge or experiance with this problem?
Also, is there anyone that can tell me how to disassemble this bolt step-by-step? I do have some experiance in disassembling some bolts,but never a model 70.
Thanks again for any help that can be offered!

Comments

• Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a WAG here, but assuming everything is clean and lubed, I'm guessing maybe a new part or two that will have to be "fit". I've had similar problems with a M. 70, and was able to fix it, but concluded that it really was a job for a pro, which I am not.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like someone did a trigger job and failed to get things adjusted correctly. RCrosby is right. Take it to a smith unless you really know what you're doing.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    this is a fairly common problem with newer m-70's, i get 3to 4 per year. when the safties are fitted at the factory sometimes there is a 'burr' or rough machined part in the 'fire control system'. any wear (break-in) in any of the parts (trigger/sear/pins/safty) allows the striker to move forward from its original position, this results in the comdition you discribe. the bevel on the striker head is too far forward for the cam on the safty to 'catch' it. the bevel on the striker must be refit, i'd suggest a trip to your gunsmith as this is very precise.
  • Options
    hasbeenhasbeen Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks to all that replied. mike wiskey, you nailed it! i disassembled the bolt and did some polishing and deburring. works very smooth now.
    once again to everyone thanks, hasbeen.