In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun registration??

snhawksnhawk Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
I read on this forum about registering a Model 1911 pistol in California. How long has California had a gun registration law? How did it handle handguns already in the state? I know they banned "assault" rifles without too much success. What else require registration in that state? Do any other states have these type laws?

Comments

• Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:
    I read on this forum about registering a Model 1911 pistol in California. How long has California had a gun registration law? How did it handle handguns already in the state?

There's no "registration" so to speak, but a) a handgun imported or sold in CA has to be on approved DOJ roster of handguns (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/fsdcertlist.php) and b) every handgun sale, as far as I remember, goes through a FFL and DROS has to be filled out and submitted to DOJ (by FFL).

quote:
    I know they banned "assault" rifles without too much success. What else require registration in that state?

They banned some specific rifles, you can find the list in CA PC. Grandfathered rifles were subject to registration with law enforcement, failure to do so is a felony. I don't know anyone who had legal issue with it -- check calguns.net -- they might have some stories for you :)

quote:
    Do any other states have these type laws?

A few, yes. NY has registration for handguns, as far as I understand it, but I am not all that familiar with it. I believe IL has registration in Chicago, HI, DC... here, just found this link:

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/1998/schools/gun.control/

It's old, so some things might have changed since then. Definitely in CA, I think roster of approved handguns became law in 2000.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might want to check out: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php

New handguns brought into the state for sale must be on the "safe handgun" list unless they are C & R eligible or otherwise exempt. Most single shot or single action handguns are exempt. Private party transfers of handguns already in the state but not on the safe list/not C & R eligible are allowed but you must go through an FFL dealer.

There are literally books written about CA's foolish gun laws - check out Calguns for starters.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are some guns that are exempt from the approved DOJ roster. Private party transfers and C&R handguns dont have to be on the list.

The "registration" done here is the form 4473 when a gun is purchased. There is also a DROS "Dealer Record of Sale" that is completed by the dealer. This lists the buyer and the gun, in the case of handguns. DROS of long guns makes no mention of the gun itself.

For a handgun to legally come into the state it would have to be on the list or fall in the exempt catagory.

As far as handguns already in the state when the latest laws went into effect, they are good to go. The law only applied to guns purchased after the law took effect.

The DOJ approved list only applies to handgun purchases, not long guns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Laredo Lefty
    There are some guns that are exempt from the approved DOJ roster. Private party transfers and C&R handguns dont have to be on the list.

The "registration" done here is the form 4473 when a gun is purchased. There is also a DROS "Dealer Record of Sale" that is completed by the dealer. This lists the buyer and the gun, in the case of handguns. DROS of long guns makes no mention of the gun itself.

For a handgun to legally come into the state it would have to be on the list or fall in the exempt catagory.

As far as handguns already in the state when the latest laws went into effect, they are good to go. The law only applied to guns purchased after the law took effect.

The DOJ approved list only applies to handgun purchases, not long guns.

Just to clarify, if you move to CA, you can bring your personally owned handguns in even if they are not on the DOJ safe handgun list and so long as they are not assault pistols.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    WTH is an "assault PISTOL"?!
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is sorta like adding tactical to some piece of equipment or firearm. It is ment to catch the attention of the uninformed...[}:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    WTH is an "assault PISTOL"?!

In general, "assault pistol" is a BS term our idiots in Sacramento dreamed up to prevent us from owning certain semi auto pistols. For instance, any semi auto pistol with a threaded barrel, or which houses its magazine not in the pistol grip - think of the AR pistols or the Keltec PU16 - is an "assault pistol". No barrel shrouds allowed, such as the Tec 9 has.

There's more to it, but you get the basics.