In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kimber 1911

cwinncwinn Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
just wandering,can anybody tell me annything about kimber 1911's,are they as good as colt,springfield,what's your opinion.

thank's

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I am interested in buying a Kimber 1911 and would like any information on these guns. Good? Bad? Problems? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just purchased a full size Kimber 1911. After around 300 rounds the adjustable rear sight came loose. It now wiggles slightly side to side in the cut (dovetail?). Does anyone know how to remedy this or what may have caused it?

Also, if anyone could recommend a quality set of night sights (adjustable if at all possible, but first and foremost rugged). I would like to be able to install them myself, but being as this is my first experience with the 1911 design i really dont know what is required to do so. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I feel that I probably made a mistake in buying my Kimber 1911 for defense. It's a pro cpd II.

It was seemingly reliable for about the first 500 or so rounds but now it fails to load to battery about every other round. I know it already sounds like it is something I've done wrong but I don't know what it would be. It used to be fully reliable, even holding it out to my side with my arm fully extended with two fingers holding. It now has a tendency to not go full forward to battery.

My confidence is already blown with it but I am still curious for your opinions.

Thing on a good wheel gun at this point.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Any opinions on Kimber 1911`s. Currently in the market for a 1911 to add to the collection. Thanks[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just purchased a Kimber Eclipse custom II. Im very impressed with the way it shoots and handles. Thanks for the advice guys. [:D]
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I don't know what brand of sights that KIMBER uses but Many Adjustable rear sights on 1911 Type pistols have a vertical adjustment screw this will allow the movable part to move up and down at the rear and it pivots at the front on a cross pin. If you unscrew the vertical adjustment screw all the way "BE CAREFUL OF THE SMALL SPRINGS AND DETENT BALLS" then the sight will pivot up and expose a small set screw that locks the sight in place in the dovetail. You might want to check your sight to see if it has this type of design. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN" [V][V]EDIT the set screw might have been left out because the sight seemed snug It will take a GOOD hardware store to find a set screw that small not a LOWES or HOME DEPOT the other place to try is a business machine repair shop When I worked for IBM the typewriter guys had bunches of very small set screws. [:p][:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    perry-

I actually did so when the problem first arose and the sight is exactly as you described, but to me it almost looked as if the set screw screw you mention was missing. There is a small hole that appears to be threaded just to the left of the threaded hole for the vertical adjustment screw.(?) I dont see how the screw could have possible been lost as the top portion of the sight would seem to hold it in place. Ill have to take a closer look again.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Kimber probably forgot to put it in. I've got about 10,000 rounds through my Custom Target and the rear sight is as tight as new.
    You can call Kimber and they should send the set screw to you. I thought I was going to run out of threads on my rear sight when it was new and called and they sent ne a shorter front sight. If they won't send the set screw go to your local gunsmith, or
    take it to your local hardware store and they should have the right set screw.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replys, Im going to call Kimber tommorow and see what they have to say.
  • Options
    glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had some bad luck with Kimger's adjustable rear sights including one that totally lost its sight blade during a qualification. I was amazed at how little metal was holding that blade in place.