In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt 2nd Generation 1851 Navy "London Model"

bprevolverbprevolver Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
edited December 2007 in Ask the Experts
I found a NIB Colt 2nd Generation "C" Series 1851 Navy "London Model" that does not appear in any resource material including, of course, Dennis Russell's book on the 2nd Gen revolvers. The revolver has blued steel back strap and square back trigger guard. The serial number is on the tan box in red along with "London Model" in black. It is not really correct for a London Model because the marking on the barrel is the standard Colt Address. According to all reseach so far Colt did not make any 2nd Generation 1851 Navy London Model revolvers. They made them in the Signature Series also with the Colt Address and not London Model.

Does anyone have any insights into this?

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Colt Second Generation models will "letter" through the Colt factory. It may be worth it to contact them at 1-800-962-COLT and find out if this was a factory-issue or redone in the aftermarket. Maybe they did some as a test-issue or without silver plated backstraps for the appearance of a "London" model. I have Dennis Adler's book but it's in storage and I can't get to it right now. I'm sure you have already checked it, though. If it is a "factory-issue", it's a scarce one for sure and probably worth the price of a letter.

I have seen Third Generation Signature Model "London" Navies but I'm sure you have verified the serial number as a 2nd Generation "C" series rather than a 3rd Generation with the signature buffed off. I've never seen a 2nd Generation "London" model so pictures would be great!

In any event, please let us know what you find out. Good luck!