In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

lady pistol advice

perfbperfb Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited December 2007 in Ask the Experts
What pisol do you recommend for a lady?
concealed weapon permit
in purse
hammerless
accuracy
light weight
not a 22 or 25

Comments

• scrubberguyscrubberguy Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    perfb:
    Will suggest not to carry any gun in purse! First thing I'd think is to seperate you from your money! Thats in your purse?

So far your on the right track no 22 or 25. However I don't think your going to find a hammerless gun in a "real" caliber.

So I'll suggest the small Star's BM or BK's or firestar. THe BK is an aluminmum frame gun so fairly light. The PD is 45 and may be a bit larger than you want? Thier are other makers that made very small 9 mm auto loaders please do some checking on the GB auctions.

I'm sure someone is going to suggest a hammerless Smith & Wesson J frame 38 special. This may be a choice you should look at but in all honesty your trading 8 rounds of 9mm for 5 rounds of 38 spec. Plus the fact that the cyl bulge, even on a J frame, is going to look like you got a bag on the other hip!

But the classic reason not to carry one is the old "carry it in your coat pocket and shoot it from there" fable!

Buddy of mine and I tried that at an outdoor range a long time ago. We set the coat on fire with the first round. Damn good blaze to!

I will state the following rule: if you carry a gun it should be secured to your person, not in a bag, purse or coat pocket.

Follow this rule and you will have it in the unfortunate event you really need it.

Unfotunately for ladies, but fortunate for us men, Ladies are shaped differently. You will need to do some serious thinking about a carry mode. The upside down shoulder holster may be a good option here.

Hope my thoughts help out.[8D]
  • Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    I would recommend a 38 special snubbie from Taurus, S&W, or Rossi

Or a nice 380 automatic from Walther or Bersa.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Smith & Wesson model 442 is a hammerless 38spl. I would also buying a purse made for carring a handgun, they have a seperate pocket for it. Also why does it have to be hammerless?
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Just saw something on the aution side. 38 ladysmith or something like that.
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .38 Special or .357 mag Smith & Wesson.
  • ladamsladams Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bersa Thunder .380. Has always served me well, it has a small hammer, but can be fired double action as well.
  • Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dano
    S&W .38 cal.

No Taurus or Rossi......[V]

Nothing wrong with Taurus or Rossi as far as new guns. Now I will admit the older ones left much to be desired. But all mine made in 95 or later have been dependable as my Rugers, S&W, Beretta, or Colt.
  • The DutchmanThe Dutchman Member Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum. Could not agree more. The Taurus has served my wife well. A 38 Special +P is a good round and Taurus is very affordable quality.

quote:Originally posted by Wehrmacht_45
    quote:Originally posted by dano
    S&W .38 cal.

No Taurus or Rossi......[V]

Nothing wrong with Taurus or Rossi as far as new guns. Now I will admit the older ones left much to be desired. But all mine made in 95 or later have been dependable as my Rugers, S&W, Beretta, or Colt.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Here's a nice S&W Model 60 "Lady Smith" .38 Special for $400:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=87932353

pix540099109.jpg
    pix540111640.jpg