In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Chas. Bosley of London Domascus Shotgun History??

ParisboundParisbound Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited December 2007 in Ask the Experts
My father gave me a Domascus Scroll Dbl Barrel Shotgun. It has Chas. Boswell London, engraved on the side It has some interesting emblems and markings on it. Does anyone know of the history of this company? Has anyone heard of it? What is this gun worth? I have lots of pics. I know enough not to fire a damascus scroll.

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    What are the exact markings on the barrels underneath the forearm? Can you describe the other "emblems"? Are there any markings on the barrel ribs?

This link will tell you how to post pics: http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Boswell, Charles, Gun Maker, 1869-1955

Charles Boswell was born in 1850 and served His apprenticeship with Mr. * of Hertford. He worked for the Royal Small Arms Factory at Enfield where He stayed for two years. By this time he was married, and set up on His own with premises at Upper Fore Street in Edmonton. Then moved to 15, Mill Street, Conduit Street, London, W.i In addition to being a gunmaker he was also an expert shot in the sport of live pigeon shooting.
    In 1854 he moved to more prestigious premises at No. 126 The Strand, his reputation went as far as Australia and South Africa. The firm survived the First World War but was bombed out in 1940 and the direct family involvement ceased in March 1941.
    The firm continued under various managements until 1960 with an address in Connaught, Street....<from Boothroyds Book of British Gunmakers>...............
    As for the emblems You allude to, I am assuming they are Proof Marks.....Post Photos and I'm sure that I or a dozen other Members of the Forums can and or will Tell You what they are and where are from...As for value, it will require a complete and total discription of this shotgun...
  • Options
    ParisboundParisbound Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info.
    Here are some pics. My father has had this gun for over 50 years.
    What pics would you like me to post to assist in determining a value?
    [img][/img]2000342159025660509_rs.jpg It reads CHARLES STRAND ?KER 126 STRAND LONDON WF
    Some Proofs
    [img][/img]2004308263077451373_rs.jpg
    [img][/img]2004374950633847887_rs.jpg