In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

RE: A good .22LR rifle?

guppyinalightbulbguppyinalightbulb Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
edited December 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have spent the majority of the day finishing my research and talking to a friend who has the Ruger 10/22, and have decided that it is the rifle for me. I was on the Ruger website, and saw a bunch of variants. What are the benefits of those variants? Could somebody please interpret?

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    What are you planing to use the rifle for? That will decide what one to buy. Then suggestions can be made.
  • Options
    guppyinalightbulbguppyinalightbulb Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mostly varmint control, but plinking also.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Go with the heavy barrel target model. Then find the ammo it likes and put a sticker on the side of the scope with the ammo name.
  • Options
    scrubberguyscrubberguy Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guppy:
    Went to the Ruger website just to see what they had in 10/22's. Let me say right up front any 10/22 is a good gun and you'll never regret the purchase.

Now let me tell you what I'd do. I'd find me one of those K10/22-usst rifles. These have all the target add on's you'll want and I belive a donation is made to the US Olympic shooting team with each sale. It is made with a better barrel and barrel attachment system than the standard 10/22.

Ruger has a habit of making collectors guns and I think this is going to be the next high demand 10/22. If it were made left handed I 'd get one myself!

I do have a 10/22 international, this is the full mannlicher type stock, and again it is a collectors item in it's own right.

I figure this is a win win for you. You get the hot set up that will have everyone at the range wanting to know what it is and the odds are real high it will triple in price as soon as it's dropped from the production schedule.

Post a note letting us know what you bought.[8D]
  • Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's hard to beat a 10/22![;)]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My CZ 452 is outstanding. I use open sights on it but have rings and can put a scope on it no problem if I want. Very accurate and smooth action. Mine was around $200.00 The 453 with the set trigger is even nicer.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Researching and talking to friends is all well and good, but you still need to get a few rifles in you hands before you decide. Like many before me, I wanted a 10/22 since it was first introduced back in the 60'. When I finally got one (many moons later) I discovered it had one of the worst triggers I had ever squeezed. I had that trigger worked on 3 times and it was still nasty. I had to learn to be content with my Anschutz.
  • Options
    cowboy77845cowboy77845 Member Posts: 316 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can always get a Volquartsen.
  • Options
    bridgebuilder41bridgebuilder41 Member Posts: 536 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A CZ 452 Varmint 22 and some eley ammo.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Don't get the 10/22 they are not as good as a Rem 597 heavy barrel. The Rem has a better trigger pull out of the box. But why a semiauto, I vote for the CZ 452 with the heavy barrel. One well placed shot is worth more than 10 bad but quickly fired shots.