In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pinned and recessed ??

SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
edited December 2007 in Ask the Experts
I see this often when looking at revolver ads.

Is it better [one can change the barrel?]

What's the alternative assembly method?

Are the two methods easy to distinguish? Are there other ways?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe you are talking about S&W revolvers.

A pinned barrel has a cross pin through the frame above the barrel threads. This was done to keep the barrel from backing out. Eventually, S&W realized this really wasn't needed, as the torque required to install the barrel was sufficient to keep it from ever accidentally unscrewing. Besides, it cost a little less to make. Some folks prefer pinned because that means an older gun with more attention to fit & finish.

Recessed describes the back end of the cylinder. Looking at the gun from the side, if you can see the rims of the cases, then it is not recessed. If you can't see them, it's recessed. Some calibers were always recessed. It makes no practical difference. Some folks think recessed is better.

Neal
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pre 1981 Smith and Wessons.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just my dealings with revolver barrels in resetting or new(mostly SA). threads or pin= diff problem..ex--a 22 stainless pinned had a cylinder gap of 0.014 so turned shoulder down 0.010 then reset bbl.(pinned bbls are smooth turned press fit in with small crossspin in frame to hold bbl in place) used a 3/16 all thread thru with a hollow cap on cylinder end to hold bbl in position while i redrilled pinhole that was now a little offset & repin with slightly larger----a threaded bbl ..turn down shoulder by thread pitch length (one or two as needed) to index back vertical with about 1/8 turn of snug to tighten & shave off end of bbl to correct cylinder gap & redo forcing cone......this i do for fixing up used revolvers to reduce side blast......hope this helps??????