In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

k-38 S&W single action

Beetle BaileyBeetle Bailey Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
edited January 2008 in Ask the Experts
would like to buy a S&W K-38 single revolver

Comments

• Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oops - not so. Smith made a fair amount of single action K38s (they're hard to find as opposed to impossible to find) and I believe a very, very few Model 25s in single action only.
  • Options
    scrubberguyscrubberguy Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beetle:
    Smith & Wesson did make a single action only on there K frame revolver. This was the Model 14 single action only. Good luck trying to find one.[8D]
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back in the day when LAPD used the K-38 as duty guns, the dept modified the guns for double action only.

They did not want the ofcrs to be able to cock the guns when holding them on someone.... too easy to have an AD.

As mentioned, the factory single actions are hard to find.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    You can have a gunsmith modify the hammer to single action, it's not that hard to do.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    S&W offered K frame single action hammers maybe they still do.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I've seen a few single action K frame "pin" guns go through the auction side, they are hard to come by. Good luck.
    W.D.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd love to have one just for the fun and rarity of it, but that aside, I'm curious;
    Why?
    p.s. I managed to steal an open sight state championship with my K-38 many years ago, and I absolutely love that revolver! It is the standard action though. When I bought it from an area dealer it was literally covered in a thick layer of dust. Seems no one was even interested in looking at it at the time. Seems to think that all 140 grain jacketed bullets belong in the same hole.