In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger SP101

DSecktDSeckt Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited January 2008 in Ask the Experts
Is there any rhyme or reason to the pricing on the auctions? I've been looking at the SP101 2 1/4 357 new, and everything I see is priced higher than 3 out of 3 local gun shops. Add Shipping to a FLL and their cost.. Way more... All I see is the reserve is equal to SELL NOW price... No Deals? Why have it at auction?

Dan

Comments

• DSecktDSeckt Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    is it possible to rechamber my sp 101 38 special to 357 mag? how would i go about this if possible?
    edited November -1
    Anyone have any good ideas on tuning up an out of the box ruger sp101 in .357? Srpings? Grips? Trigger job?

Thanks!
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No complaints. Just don't buy here.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you considered that not everyone in the country has three gun shops nearby to choose from or the time to shop around?

For them buying on auction may be a good option.

If you don't like the auction prices, either wait until you see a better auction price or buy the gun somewhere else.

Its called the "free market", and it works pretty well.
    edited November -1
    I'm not really trying to complain.. I bought my Springfield XD9 here on auction (through another member/ that's why I joined) at a good price... It just seem that now everything has a reserve AT the SELL NOW price.. Not really an auction.

Dan
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, not everything.

Yes, a lot of sellers are playing games. Sometimes you see page after page of items that never sell, & they are relisted week after week, for eternity. This makes it hard to find the serious seller who is really willing to put his gun out there & sell his gun at whatever the market brings.

"Playing games" is encouraged by the fact that there is no listing fee on GB. But, that may be good because those folks scared to start an auction at a low price can put out a "test balloon" without charge, then lower the price when it is re-listed.

Personally, I save a lot of time by not even looking at auctions with a reserve price.

Neal
  • scrubberguyscrubberguy Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DSeckt:

Your now experiencing the "Market". Prices will go up and down depending on who's listing, how bad they need money, what there listing. I think you get the idea.

Yes you are going to find listings for guns that are way out of line with the real world.

These listing will be pulled or price adjusted as time shows the listee (?) that no interest was generated.

Please be aware that I am not discussing collectors stuff or antique's merely the recent production stuff you can see at the local gun shop or pawn shop.

My thoughts have always been as follows: you buy a new car you drive it off the lot it is now not worth as much as a new car same make and model.. Don't believe me? Try taking that car back to the dealer you got it from and try to get your investment back.

This is called: depreciation! It applys to everything!

So yes to some extant I agree with you! How can someone list a gun for exactly what he paid for it, knowing full well it must be shipped and fee's paid to a dealer to handle the paper work at the buyers end?

It is a free market and "buyer beware" the best tip you can get.

As far as the listing's go? It is what it is. How bad do you want it and how much are you willing to pay to get it?

Hope I get everybody thinking on this.[8D]
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep watching the auctions.
    It may take a while, but there could be a GOOD deal come through.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Just keep watching the actions. You will find good deals. There isn't anything that says gunbroker only advertises outstanding deals.
  • luv_the_huskersluv_the_huskers Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just picked up a SP101 through here for far less than my local shops had one offered. I used to manage a large pawn shop and took away from that one tried and true rule: If you are patient and vigilant, what you want at the price you want will be there. YMMV
  • helimanheliman Member Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like previously stated, if you can beat the price, buy elsewhere. You don't owe anyone on this sight your business. On the other hand, they wouldn't continue to run auctions if they weren't selling. There are plenty of great deals on GB. If you have patience, you will eventually find what you want at a price you can live with. My 2 cents.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    Well, not everything.

Yes, a lot of sellers are playing games. Sometimes you see page after page of items that never sell, & they are relisted week after week, for eternity. This makes it hard to find the serious seller who is really willing to put his gun out there & sell his gun at whatever the market brings.

"Playing games" is encouraged by the fact that there is no listing fee on GB. But, that may be good because those folks scared to start an auction at a low price can put out a "test balloon" without charge, then lower the price when it is re-listed.

Personally, I save a lot of time by not even looking at auctions with a reserve price.

Neal

Well two points:

Every market has a "bid" and an "ask". . .that's how free markets work.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking a lot for a gun you are selling, hoping someone bites.

As long as someone else is offering the same gun at auction for less, any bidder can and will take the better price.

If you are a serious buyer, this shouldn't affect you at all. If you don't like the price, you don't buy. It really is that simple. So long as you know what you are willing to pay, GB makes it easy to find auctions in your price range with their electronic search feature.

Also, there is nothing stopping anyone from putting out a lowball bid on a gun with a reserve price, even if you know your bid is likely less than the reserve.

I do this all the time, and I've noticed at least once that when my bid was in reasonable "fair value" range, the seller later re-listed the gun at a minimum (instead of reserve) price.