In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

concealed handguns in california

lakersfanlakersfan Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited January 2008 in Ask the Experts
Looked at the roster of approved handguns in california. I would like to buy a Kel Tek P-9 gun with a barrel of 3.1 in. but it's not on the list while another gun on the list that like it has a barrel length of 3.0 in. Is thier a size requirement law or is it strictly whats on the roster. Confused can explain?

Comments

• gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neither. Manufacturers have to pay to play in Kalifornia. They have to have their products "certified" safe & put on the OK list.
    There are some types that get a free pass like single action revolvers over a certain size. You can also buy guns that are not on the list that are legally owned by a private party.
    Is that clear enough? [xx(]
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    May want to look a Number of rounds the Mag Carries. My Kimber in a Carry is legal where My Par Warhog is not Par has a higher number in the mag. But both are the same size.
  • scrubberguyscrubberguy Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lakersfan:
    The tec 9 is not on the approved list because it's an "assult Pistol"!

I believe you can call the DOJ and get them to fax / e mail you a list of approved weapons.

Here's a tip: If it's not in current production the manufacturer will not pay for the drop testing, this must be done each year for every model sold in Calif. If it doesn't get drop tested it can't be sold here! some pistols are exempt, basic "crank and yanks" from the late 1800's and the clones of same!

Assult weapons are a complete ban, if you didn't buy it before Midnight dec 31st 1999 you don't get to buy one at all!

Being a gun owner in Calif. is not as much fun as it used to be. All the draconian laws have done is driven prices up.

If you want a used pistol, say a S&W Model 52, you have to buy it from a party already within the state you won't be able to import one.

Your local dealer can help you with what you can and can't buy!

Hopefully you'll be able to find a local dealer.[8D]
  • MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 3,012
    edited November -1
    I believe lakersfan is talking about the Kel Tec PF-9 lil' pistol, with the 3.1" barrel & all.

I don't see any Kel Tec guns on the list, so it's not a matter of a mis-listing of barrel length or another model with different capacity/finish/what-not.

If it's a modern firearm from a dealer it has to be specifically on the list. The example I use is the Colt Python. The only one on the list is the 6" stainless version; a 6" blued one doesn't count, nor does a stainless one of any other barrel length.

BTW, using the dealer's advice I figure provides a plausible layer of deniability, but not much else. For example, a while back I asked around about a certain transaction and was told three different things by three different dealers. You really should read all the laws for yourself and try to predict how they would be interpreted by the police, district attorneys, and juries of soccer moms and PETA members.

Have fun shopping!
  • CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    california says GUNS R BAD[:(][:(] you dont need one. we will take care of you.
    TRUST THE TERMINATOR
  • MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MrOrange
    You really should read all the laws for yourself and try to predict how they would be interpreted by ... and juries of soccer moms and PETA members.

I love it, best line of 2008!
    Regards, MAALOX
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CHEVELLE427
    california says GUNS R BAD[:(][:(] you dont need one. we will take care of you.
    TRUST THE TERMINATOR

Yet strangely in Calif. and most other states, the gun haters spend more time and effort trying to disarm the lawful, peaceful citizens than they do the violent, gun toting criminals.
    edited November -1
    Gentlemen:
    It is indeed a sad but true fact that Calif. has become a haven for the scum of the earth. The real sad part is they all seem to be politicians!

All I can do is Vote! Which is what we all should do.[8D]
  • PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A non "evil" hand gun may be transferred through a FFL in a private party sale even if it is not on the approved list. The buyer, however, must have a Handgun Safety Certificate. Single action revolvers are exempt from the drop test.
    Pete
    edited November -1
    PJ:
    You are correct! A Non evil gun can be transfered as a private party sale but only if both parties are present. This again precludes the possiblity of a collector grade or out of production handgun being shipped into the state of Calif.

WE are stuck buying whats here![8D]