In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Looking For Advice

Thumper62Thumper62 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited June 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hey all,
Just signed up on the forum and have been reading some posts.
I am wanting to buy my first handgun and am very interested in the Tokarev TT-33. Love the look. [8D]
Only problem is, I live in California where the laws are screwed up, and this gun is not legal to buy here. [:(!]
So, how can I purchase this gun? Do I have it sent to an FFL in AZ or NV and then pick it up? Are there waiting periods in those states for background checks, etc?
Any guidance is much appreciated. If the above is possible, if anyone knows an FFL in western AZ or NV, I can drive to to deal with, that would be great. [:)]

Thanks for the help.
Thumper

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    You are SOL [V] The handguns have to be delivered through a dealer in the state you live [xx(][:(!]
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not today. You must move to Nv.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As DCS said- handguns may only be purchased from a dealer in your home state. So if you took a trip to NV, when the dealer is going thru the form 4473, and the 2 forms of ID, sale will stop when he sees CA.

And that is not just CA, but any state.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you certain they are not legal in the People's Demokratik Republik? I'm not certain of the model number but Turner's Outdoorsman just had Tokarevs on sale at a rather reasonable price.
    I almost bought one but when I added in the state fee, tax & the the test fee (the time limit on mine had just run out) the total came up too high.
    I have an offer in on a vacation condo in Arizona so I may soon be able to get the toys that I want & at a better price.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, there MAY be one legal way out for you (besides moving)

Here is the CA list of approved handguns- http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Note at the top where curio & relic firearms are exempt? The RUSSIAN TT-33 dates back to WW II- If you can find a Tokarev IN ITS ORIGINAL CONFIGURATION, and THAT particular gun can be shown to be 50 years old, or older, congrats- you have a California legal TT-33. It will still need to be shipped to an 0-1 Dealer in CA, who will likely charge you out the Wazoo for the transfer, but doable.

Please note that it is not the age of the model, but age of the individual pistol. China is (I think) still making them, so the new ones are NOT C&R guns.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    The only additional advice I can add is that you move to a gun friendly state suh as Florida. I nave several friends and family that have done that over the past few years.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks all for the excellent advice.
    Gruntled made a suggestion about checking Turners Outdoors. So, I sent an email to a number of gun shops here in Southern Ca. Had a response from a shop about 1/2 hr away saying he just received the Norinco 54 (Tokarev TT-33 clone) on consignment. [:D]
    I went to his store the next day, checked the gun out, and made the purchase for $175. Due to the 10 day waiting period, I can pick up my gun on Monday.

Can't wait to get it home and take it to the range.

Stay well, all.
    Thumper [8D]
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    You will enjoy it. i have had a CZ-52 and have shot a tokarev alot. Both shoot hard and flat, and ammo is cheap.

may i just suggest that you get a couple extra mags. I got about 6 for my cz-52.
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gruntled,

What is a test fee? Here in MI you may have to pay to be finger printed (depends on the PD) and pay the state sales tax to the dealer. There's no state fee. Beginning to feel better about living here. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good advice, quickmajik. Fortunately, this gun comes with 3 clips so I won't need to purchase additional clips anytime soon.

Thumper [8D]