In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fair price for a bucket of wheel weights?

max2005max2005 Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
edited December 2010 in Ask the Experts
Gents:

I have a tire store nearby that will sell me a full bucket (assuming the usual 5 gallon variety) of used wheel weights for $50.

Been a while since I've had to purchase any (usually can scrounge for free), but free sources have dried up. The last time I purchased a bucket I got it for $20, but that was about 15 years ago. Is $50 a fair price now-a-days?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pure virgin lead is about $4 a pound. I'll say scrap is less than half of that. Does the bucket weight 100 #?? Bob
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    The bigger issue is how much of it it actually lead? Lots of zinc, aluminum, and other stuff you cant cast........

We have a member here who sells 50lbs of ready to go 1lb ingots for $50 shipped. Just a though.......
  • Options
    ltslts Member Posts: 811 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    start at $10 and go to $15 or $20 tops if 10 don't work, lead is down and that pail isn't clean.
  • Options
    EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call local scrap metal dealers for the current price of scrap lead.

EvilDr235
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lts
    start at $10 and go to $15 or $20 tops if 10 don't work, lead is down and that pail isn't clean.

Lead is is not down(the dollar is), it is going to cost you a minimum of 1.16 per pound in 40,000 pound lots if you buy it commercially.

http://www.metalprices.com/

I'd buy some $50 buckets if I needed them.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks like precleaned wheel weight ingots are around $1/# possibly delivered at that price. A full 5 gallon bucket will likely be too heavy to lift so maybe 80-100#. This includes the offal like clips, stick on weights, scraps, and plain old dirt. It takes a fair amount of time to clean, flux, and pour ingots so dependant on your situation, it might be as well to buy clean ingots. If you have the time and space to make some mess, the bucket of weights might produce more actual bullets. I bought 400# of wheel weights a few years ago=4 1/2 five gallon buckets. Ended up putting them in clean smaller buckets and using them for traction weight in my pickup but they're still in the barn, clean and ready to melt. I found it easier to buy ingots since I didn't have time to clean it up.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say $35 or $40, the last bucket That I bought was from a scrap yard when lead was at it's highest point, and that cost me $64.
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I give the local tire shop $20 for a 5gal bucket of weights. I usually get 100-140 lbs of usable lead.