In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

shotgun scopes

danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in Ask the Experts
in your opinion what is the best american made shotgun scope I like the leupold 2x7x33 and wonder about the burris 2x7x35 any ideas???

Comments

• 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    A shotgun is at best a short range weapon. You don't need much magnification, what you want is feed of view. I would get a 1X4 Leupold and set it on 1X.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Nikon Slughunter 1.5-5X on my Remington 870. Finally had to go to a scope as my eyes were having trouble picking up my sights in low light.

I have taken 3 whitetails in the last two seasons with this set up.
    The first one was at 30 yards and the last two were at 100-110 yards.

All three times, the scope was set at 3X.
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have a 50mm Red dot on a Remington 1100. You can pick it up in a hurry.
  • freddbear4freddbear4 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your choices are good. Buy quality, use quality, and sell or trade quality. Hunt with it on 2X. I would consider that to be an optimum setting for 50 yds.
  • 1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have mounted quite a few Nikon Slughunter BDC's for people in the last few years and they seem to universally work very well indeed.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    scopes can be useful for old eyes on shot loads, but their best use if with slugs. We have hit steel targets at 220 yards with rifled slugs using a Nikon shotgun scope. Could not do that with beads and my old eyes.
  • Stilwater36Stilwater36 Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Leupold 1-4 on the 12 ga 870. I use Nikon 2-7x33 Vari on the
    Benelli Super 90 20ga. Both work well at usually 2-3 power. Remember the slug recoil; Don't buy cheap MHO
    PS: At 75 no eyes left for Irons. Both fully rifled barrels.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got a 3x9x40 on mine now. With the new slugs and a good barrel. Longer shots are more and more common. 3x generally does the trick. I like to use the high power 9x when sighting in and tuning up.
  • danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks does anyone know how the burris fullfield II 2x7x35 compares with the leupold VX1 2x7x33
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    You can go to each compamy's webpage and look up the specs for each. Quality wise the Leupold is a little better but you pay more.