In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Wrecking yard lead

EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
edited January 2011 in Ask the Experts
Check out your local wrecking yard for lead.Chrysler products with tilt steering wheels have a lead weight of about 3 pounds mounted in the steering wheels to make them down when you pull the tilt lever.Some Crown vics and lincolns have metal can mount on the rear of the transmission full of lead shot.I have a large coffee can full of the shot and it weighs appox 80 pounds.And of course wheel weights.

EvilDr235

Comments

• Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any yard that lets you take apart a $100 steering column to salvage 3# of lead is nuts.
  • Options
    gumbydamnitgumbydamnit Member Posts: 793 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 47studebaker
    Any yard that lets you take apart a $100 steering column to salvage 3# of lead is nuts.

If it is a wrecking or a scrap yard it is scrap, they cannot sell parts once it is there, it has to go for scrap at least in PA. Now a salvage yard is a different thing, they are there to sell and salvage parts. The scrap yard that a deal told me legally they cannot sell any parts at all not matter what it is, and then there is the liability of you getting hurt while removing parts. Now that is here in PA and the place I deal with is pretty strict about the rules. I picked up a new set of tire chains at the scrap yard and asked the guy what they wanted for them and he told weight for weight, couldn't sell but could swap out. That was something laying right there, they won't let you rummage around.
  • Options
    EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We part out steering coluums all the time. We make more money selling all the parts than the unit as a whole.Air bag,clock spring,gang switch,steering wheel,lock assy.A steering coluum out of a 10 or 15 year old car in not worth a $100.00 and anybody that would pay that is a fool.

EvilDr235