In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

JC Higgins Model 583-4

jmouellettejmouellette Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
edited March 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have been given a JC Higgins Model 583-4, 16 gauge modified choke, bolt action, that has "Sears, Roebuck & Co." on it. I have no clue what it's worth and am wondering if it's something I should keep or go ahead and sell (I could use some extra cash).

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 16 gauge, bolt action, J.C. Higgins, shotgun has very little collector demand/value. Sell it for what for whatever you can get out of it. It was originally sold as a inexpensive utility grade gun. Bolt action, 16 gauge shotguns, aren't easy to sell in my experience.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the same shotgun in VERY good condition.

It was given to me by my wife's grandfather, and has much more value than it's worth.

It's still a shooter to me though. It's murder on the trap range! [:)]
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say around $100 if in average condition.
  • Options
    farmer37farmer37 Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jmouellette
    I have been given a JC Higgins Model 583-4, 16 gauge modified choke, bolt action, that has "Sears, Roebuck & Co." on it. I have no clue what it's worth and am wondering if it's something I should keep or go ahead and sell (I could use some extra cash).
    The cash you get wont buy much,I have a shot gun my uncle gave me over 40 years ago.He gave my son a Stevens double 20 gauge.He was in his 80s and wanted to be sure we got them.A friend gave me a Stevens 20 gauge pump shot gun.My wife bought me a Mossberg 22, an Enfield 303 and a Stevens 12 ga single shot.These guns are priceless, no one has enough money to buy them.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As said- utility grade shooter, IIRC, made by High Standard. There was a safety recall for the 12 g version. Bolt action shotguns in good condition around here retail for about $75. A dealer offer of $30-$45 is not unexpected.
  • Options
    dgroenewouddgroenewoud Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am interested in purchasing it for $100 cash if you still have the gun. I have one that is broken. It was my grandfather's gun and he had crushed his arm in a press at a factory. He would lay it over his bad arm to shoot it. Because of this, he dropped it and broke the stock. My father carved a new stock for it in wood shop. It has changed hands in the family several times and ended up with me. I went to clean it and it broke. I would really like to get another to put my father's stock on it, but they are hard to find as most are broken or in rough shape. Gun smith won't touch it. My email address is dgroenewoud@yahoo.com

thanks,