In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt New Agent 9MM

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in Ask the Experts
I assume all 1911 type pistols are safe to carry "cocked and locked" with thr proper holster, but instructions from Colt says always carry empty with hammer down. Any comments?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I am thanking about buying a Colt New Agent, anyone know much about this new pistol? Why would a 45 ACP be cheaper than a 9MM in this same gun?
  • Options
    GarthGarth Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If memory serves me correctly its the newer model of the defender with a sight rail instead of sights. If I'm right, I can only tell you of my experiences with them. They either work or they don't. Its a toss up. I love Colt, but more often than not its a lot part replacements and spring kits combined with shooting the proper load. More trouble than its honestly worth. IMHO, save your money and buy something else! Best
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by peddler
    I am thanking about buying a Colt New Agent, anyone know much about this new pistol? Why would a 45 ACP be cheaper than a 9MM in this same gun?

Why would the .45 version be cheaper? One potential reason is that there are much better available parts selections available for stock 45ACP 1911 guns and that might reduce costs a bit compared to a 9mm gun. Also, Colt probably anticipates higher demand for .45ACP guns, leading to somewhat of an increased economy of scale in production. Several other makers offer 3" .45s and price competition could be a factor too (see below).

See here for the ad copy:
    http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtPistols/ColtNewAgentSeries.aspx

I note that Colt conspicuously omits the specs on its website but you can find them in this NRA Shooting illustrated review:

http://www.nrapublications.org/si/ColtNA.html

In short, this is just a really small (3" bbl) alloy frame 1911 with "gutter" type sights (which Colt calls "trench" sites, as the word trench is a lot nicer-sounding than "gutter"!).

Gutter sights are not that easy to aim precisely with, but they are "good enough" for close work (which is the point of a gun like this) and snag resistant. If the no-snag sights aren't a selling point for you, there are other guns with conventional sights similar to this one that might make more sense (including the Colt "Defender" which is basically the same exact gun with normal sights).

In *general* small 1911s can be ammo picky and not that reliable, but that's up to the ammo used, individual gun, and individual shooter. As mentioned, getting one that doesn't run right to run right can be a bit annoying, as you may need to try different loads, springs, and/or both. The typical dual-coil recoil spring arrangement can also wear out faster than ordinary springs, requiring more frequent changing if you practice a lot.

Kimber, Smith and Wesson, and Springfield also offer 3" 1911s, and if this sort of thing appeals to you, you might check those out too.

Anything else you need to know?
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get yourself a Kimber Ultra Carry in 9mm...cheaper, better, more reliable than the Colt. [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    In my area of Mississippi the Kimber is $200.00 higher than the colt. Don't know if they are that much better.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 9mm Agent I saw this week had actual sights instead of the slide groove of the .45 guns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    will see if I can find one with sights then, thanks
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by peddler
    In my area of Mississippi the Kimber is $200.00 higher than the colt. Don't know if they are that much better.

The standard Kimber Ultra Carry is way cheaper than the Colt, you might have been comparing the fancier Kimber 9mm, the Aegis.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Take a look at the Kahr PM9