In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Trying to identify H&R revolver

Eric LopemanEric Lopeman Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited March 2011 in Ask the Experts
I'm just trying to identify an old H&R revolver that I have inherited such as which model and variation. I have researched it, but I get conflicting results. The info that I have is that it is a .32 six shot top break revolver.

Top of barrel "HARRIGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS CO." "WORCESTER, MASS. U.S.A."

Right side of barrel "32 S.&W. CTGE.

Left side of barrel "H.&R. "AUTOMATIC""

Serial Number is 528559.

Any info would be appreciated

Comments

• Options
    wood_manwood_man Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Eric,
    I had a question like yours a while back and was answered quite nicely, but while you are waiting this might bump it up so you won't get buried....

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=467969
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unfortunately Bill Goforth who was our resident expert on Iver Johnson and H & R firearms, passed away recently. Hopefully one of our other knowledgeable folks will be able to help with your H & R.

I believe Bill's book on the H & R's was published recently. If you can obtain a copy, it would probably help you identify your revolver.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, but I did look at that string before posting. I should have mentioned that mine does have a hammer. My problem is that I just can't find the same comibination of markings on the top, right and left side of barrel to match anything that I have read. One or the other seems to contradict every version that I have found. Thanks for the tip on the book.
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jim Hauff is the H&R expert; he should notice your post shortly.
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Eric,
    Your H&R revolver is a 3rd Model early 5th Variation, made 1925-1940. With a s/n in the 500K range - it was made most likely in late 1925.
    Your piece is capable of handling smokeless/Nitro powder loadings and all modern factory loads in .32S&W and .32S&W Long will work - IF your gun is in safe firing condition.
    This 5th Variation eventually was equipped (circa 1932) with the Rice frame - bird's head shape - which takes a one piece grip. I'm assuming your piece takes two grip panels.
    Standard: 3 1/4" barrel with Nickel finish; optional barrel lengths: 2 1/2, 4, 5 & 6"; blue finish optional; also chambered for 5 rounds of .38S&W.
    If you describe: the finish (type and percent remaining), grips, barrel length - I can provide a RETAIL value range.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks,

You are correct, mine does take two grip panels. It is the 3 1/4" barrel with the blue finish. The local gunsmith that I took it to make sure it was in safe firing condition said, although he is far from an expert on this type of gun, it was the cleanest one that he had seen. The blue finish has just very few pits in the entire gun. It does not have the original grips though and I was planning on ordering some aftermarket grips for now. Your help is much appreciated as I feel better about the proper ammo to use. If that is enough info to give me an approximate retail price, that would be great as well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Eric,
    In the described condition, estimating V.good to Excellent - RETAIL value of these ranges from around $175 to $225, with blue finish add 10% premium, so, if excellent (95+% finish) then around $255.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You guys have been a great help. I learned more in one day on here than a week of searching on my own. I appreciate you taking the time to give me the information and once again, thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Your one week of research equals about 16 years of study on my part. LOL
    You're welcome. Thanks for thanking.