In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marlin Camp 9

wood_manwood_man Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
edited March 2011 in Ask the Experts
Just a quick shot from a few people that own or have owned one......

Good shooter? Reliable? Fun? Expensive parts?

tia for any info.

"Tell me, why is it that I should trade one tyrant 3000 miles away for 3000 tyrants one mile away....? An elected legislature can trample a man's rights..."

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Just bought a "used" 9mm. Got it to the house and shot it 4 times. After that the trigger would not pull to disengage the hammer. It is like it on on safety with the safety on "fire" position. Has anyone has this problm before and can guide me thru to fix it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just broke the recoil buffer and found the Strut Bridge was broken. I would like to replace the recoil spring with a 16# sping. Can someone point me in the direction of where I can find these items? Thanks in advance for any and all help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When were the Marlin camp 9's made. Serial numbers to what?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How do you know when the buffer needs to be replaced? Is this a do it yourself job?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking to add a Camp 9. I know squat about them and was hoping to gain some knowledge here.

I do know they were discontinued. Was it because of any reliability issues or is there something I should be on the look-out for?

Any particulars ya'll would care to share would be appreciated.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Camp 9, in fact took it to the range last weekend and it feeds everything - about 200 rounds, no failure to feed at all. I shoot it at 50 yds, use a 2 - 7X scope and it plunks them into an about 1.5" circle all day long. Three shots or 30, all seem to hover around that mark.

Off the top of my head, The Camp 9 is blowback operated and the action gets dirty as hell. The trigger isn't all that good and chances are you'll have to replace the recoil buffer - costs about $5.00 and easy to do. The original tends to fall apart so if you shoot it and little white chunks of plastic drop out - that's the original falling apart.

I use S & W Model 59 magazines, mags marked for the Camp 9 are harder to come by and I see no need to pay more for the stamp. I use the 17 rounders, they feed fine.

If you mount a scope on it be certain everything is socked down tight. The recoil is slight but that bolt slamming back & forth imparts a bit of vibration. I went with a Burris conventional turn in mount & rings instead of a weaver type, the weaver tended to loosen on me.

It's a neat little plinker for when you want more than a 22 but don't want to shoot a higher power centerfire rifle.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I think just a limited market. There have been several 9mm carbines come and go over the years. The key here is go......

I like mine but I hardly ever shoot it. If you do a search on this site you can find a post I did on how to modify M9 mags to fit. I got a bunch for $8 ea so it was cost effective for me to do it.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    I have one and love it. had to replace the buffer first time I fired it but no probl.now.

one of the guys on GD forum has one up on the acution side right now.
    $200 now 6 days to go

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=222522332
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is nothing wrong with the 9mm Camp Carbine. The Camp Carbines fell victim to the Clinton anti-assault weapon hype in the 1990's and to declining sales.

Used ones generally go for about $450-$500 around here.
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know a man that claims it is the best thing Marlin ever made.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one chambered for the .45 ACP years ago. It had a heavy trigger pull and a tendency to double, with just one pull of the trigger. Marlin stopped making them in the late 90's because they didn't want any heat from the libtards for making a assault rifle, so I been told.

Since they have been off the market for years the only ones for sale are used. I would shoot it if you can, to ascertain that it functions well and is accurate.

KelTec makes a similar 9mm semi-auto carbine nowadays. You might be better off with a new KelTec then a well used Marlin.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like mine..I have owned it for almost 15 years. Still on the original buffer. Topped mine off with Tasco PPII dot sight. It has been totally reliable with all ammo type and will shoot about 1 1/2" at 50 yards.

I have several S&W Mags for mine. Most were purchased when they were real cheap.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Since my post I let various search engines do my bidding to compare this groups observations and experience with theirs.

Not a test of y'all but a varification of them. I value your opinion(s) much more than the internet because of past experience with this group.

I will get one of these and it will be my 1st 9mm of any kind.

Rufe...That Kel-Tec looks good...pretty good reviews, but there is just something about wood and steel.

Nwcid...Ya I know come and go...but don't we all. No purpose for this gun but my own curiousity. You know "A fool and his money" thanks for the warning.

Moonshine...Thanks for the link.

The rest of you...Thanks for your time and thoughts.
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are definitely no fool. I have never met anybody that owned and/or fired one that didn't like it.
  • Options
    ltslts Member Posts: 811 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you do pick one up, 12 round S&W 69 series magazines also fit the mag well like they were mage for it and don't "hang out" like the 59 series mags. Then you have to get a 59 or 69 Smith to go with the Camp gun.[:D]