In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

32 S&W long

arkbacksarkbacks Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
edited April 2011 in Ask the Experts
How does the 32S&W long compare to a 380acp? I am looking at a H&R model 732 just to have, already have a 9,38 and 380 as far as to carry but wouldn't mind carring the 32 at times. Thanks for the comments.

Comments

• arkbacksarkbacks Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been asked a question I can not honestly answer.
    Hopefully one of you can help me out.
    Can 32 S&W Long be safely used in a S&W 32-44?
    From what little I can find I would answer this person a
    resounding "NO". But I want to be sure I am correct.
    Thanks for any help.
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know anything about an Amadeo Rossi .32 S&W long? I inherited this gun and know nothing about it. Does it have any value? Any help would be very appreciated.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are not that different, except the .32 suffers from the lighter bullet.

I would not feel naked if the only gun I had on me in a Close Encounter of the Worst Kind was loaded with .32 S&W longs. But, it would be a Colt or S&W, it wouldn't be a H&R.

Neal
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    They are not that different, except the .32 suffers from the lighter bullet.

I would not feel naked if the only gun I had on me in a Close Encounter of the Worst Kind was loaded with .32 S&W longs. But, it would be a Colt or S&W, it wouldn't be a H&R.

Neal

Neal, H&R Made or makes a .32 H&R Magnum and there is no reason to think you can't shoot .32 longs in it safely.[^]
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Just to have"? [;)]

If you want a carry .32, I'd suggest the .327 Federal magnum. That will let you shoot .32 long or .32H&R magnum, plus the .327 magnums.

The .327 magnums yield 9mm+P-like ballistics, and are much more powerful than .380s. Even if the .327 magnum becomes obsolete, the gun itself won't since you can always shoot the other .32s through it.

Right now CDNN is blowing out 6-shot blued Taurus .327 snubnoses for $250, and only $220 for double-action only ones.
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    While many will say that the 32 S&W long is not a great defense round, there are way too many that cannot tell how they were killed by the lowly 32 S&W long, S&W short, 32 Zlong RF and 32 RF short. Back in the 1860s to the early 1900s the 32 was used by many and has killed many a person. So by what is available today in defense rounds, the 45 is much better and what I carry, the lowly 32 has put many a person in a perment state of DEATH! IF the 32 H&R is what you have/can afford then by all means it is better than NO protection at all IMHO. Now a days we think bigger and faster as to bullets BUT we often over look shot placement and practice as elements of self protection that we need to concider when defending ourselves and loved ones. JUST my 2 cents worth.

On a side note, wonder how many were excuted in the WWII era by the 32 ACP or the lowely 25 ACP? By todays line of thought, they are useless mouse guns as to self defense.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jjmitchell60
    While many will say that the 32 S&W long is not a great defense round, there are way too many that cannot tell how they were killed by the lowly 32 S&W long, S&W short, 32 Zlong RF and 32 RF short.
    Nobody is saying a .32 is useless, only that there are better choices out there. For example. . .

The original poster said: quote:already have a 9,38 and 380 as far as to carry

So if you already have a 9mm, .380ACP, and .38 special, why would you want to trade DOWN to a .32 long which is less powerful, harder to find ammo for, more expensive, and offers no real size or weight advantage over a .38 revolver?

That just doesn't make sense to me. I can understand (maybe) trading for a .327 magnum which could give you greater capacity in the same size packages as a .38 but with similar or better ballistics and the flexibility to use weaker rounds for practice, etc.
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone for all the comments and info, good stuff.
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    quote:quote:
    already have a 9,38 and 380 as far as to carry

So if you already have a 9mm, .380ACP, and .38 special, why would you want to trade DOWN to a .32 long which is less powerful, harder to find ammo for, more expensive, and offers no real size or weight advantage over a .38 revolver?

I see what you are saying here and you have a point to a point. I had a young man come in looking for a "smaller" caliber hand gun to use as self defense. He had a 357 he wanted to trade. I had to ask why being he had a ngreat caliber being he could shoot 357 or 38s. He then explained that he was wounded in Iraq in his right arm and being right handed it caused a lot of problems. His right arm was very weak and could not handle the recoil of a 38 even. I sold him a 22 mag at dealer cost (I am a vetern and have a son in the USAF so I will give these kids a he!! of a break) BUT I also worked with him on learning to shoot useing his left hand but right eye. After a few cylinder full of 38s through his 357 with his left hand he decided to keep it to work on shooting left handed. He has the 22 mag for the right hand though. We also talked a lot about practicing shot placement with the 22 mag and being he was in the military he completely agreed that a well placed shot with the 22 mag is a lot better than nothing. So there are sometimes reasons people need to trade down as to caliber. We have a whole new generation of wounded Veterns now that will need to make adjustments as to what they were able to do and that even extends over to self defense. So I do see your point but then again there are situations where some one has to re-adjust due to things beyond their control. I actually dug out a couple of my S&W 32s to try and he had trouble with the recoil of them in his wonded arm.
  • roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jjmitchell60
    quote:quote:
    already have a 9,38 and 380 as far as to carry

I see what you are saying here and you have a point to a point. I had a young man come in looking for a "smaller" caliber hand gun to use as self defense. He had a 357 he wanted to trade. I had to ask why being he had a ngreat caliber being he could shoot 357 or 38s. He then explained that he was wounded in Iraq in his right arm and being right handed it caused a lot of problems. His right arm was very weak and could not handle the recoil of a 38 even. I sold him a 22 mag at dealer cost (I am a vetern and have a son in the USAF so I will give these kids a he!! of a break) BUT I also worked with him on learning to shoot useing his left hand but right eye. After a few cylinder full of 38s through his 357 with his left hand he decided to keep it to work on shooting left handed. He has the 22 mag for the right hand though. We also talked a lot about practicing shot placement with the 22 mag and being he was in the military he completely agreed that a well placed shot with the 22 mag is a lot better than nothing. So there are sometimes reasons people need to trade down as to caliber. We have a whole new generation of wounded Veterns now that will need to make adjustments as to what they were able to do and that even extends over to self defense. So I do see your point but then again there are situations where some one has to re-adjust due to things beyond their control. I actually dug out a couple of my S&W 32s to try and he had trouble with the recoil of them in his wonded arm.

jjmitchell
    I am going turkey hunting in Sadieville ky on AP 20? Any way I can ship my shotgun to you ? I will pay you any inconv. fee. This will not be a transfer just shipped to myself at your FFL And if you want to get in the turkey hunt let me know!! my email is G3development@hotmail.com Chipper Gronholm
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.