In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

German 22 revolver

201stratosman201stratosman Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
edited April 2011 in Ask the Experts
Freind has a 22lr revolver, I think nickle finish. the gun has Germany on the barrel and has black grips with a small buffalo at top of the grips. Any info would be helpful. Thank you

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Saturday night special" imported in the 1950's-1960's. I'm guessing it was made by Rohm. Value would be in the $10-50 range.

Neal
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FIE, Buffalo Scout..imo...50-75..range.nambu
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Single action, double action, swing out cylinder or break-top? Not much information coming our way. Most likely one of the Rohm revolvers mentioned by Neal, which came in a wide variety of flavors for different importers who branded them as their own. It could also be one of the German Recks, although most of those pistols are centerfire rather than rimfire. Back in the alte 1950s and into the 60s Spesco and several of the other big outfits imported these things by the boat load and sold them through mail order catalogs for a few bucks each. The 1968 Gun Control Act as well as the nose dive in the value of the US Dollar in the 1970's put an end to that. Either way these pistols are worth virtually nothing beyond their ability to shoot and have no collector interest at all, although a new in the box example would probably make a great conversation piece!
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably a Herbert Schmidt revolver model 21.

Does this look familiar?
    Liberty8sml.jpg
    m42qox

These guns were imported by different importers prior to the gun control act of 1968 and sold under a variety of names, including "buffalo scout".

They're pretty low end single-action .22s, though they actually are a little better than the absolutely terrible double-action Rohm guns (which are basically zinc-alloy starter pistols that can fire actual bullets. . .maybe).

A nickel-plated one in excellent cosmetic shape MIGHT fetch as much as $75-100.
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I'm actually a fan of these cheap six guns. I've owned several over the years and have good service from them. Altho certainly not top quality, the key is to take care of them and keep them clean.
    I buy broken ones when I can get them cheap. Generally easy to fix. And often the problem is that the gun just needed a good internal cleaning.
    As with any fixed sight handgun, learning the quirks of how each one shoots is the trick to accurate shooting.
    I find most tend to shoot high at usual handgun plinking range of 25-30 yrd. To fix, I replace the front sight w/a Ruger Single Six ramp type. Then file it to desired zero.
  • lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree, Buffalo Scout, probably by Herbert Schmidt, might be marked under the grip, could have been imported by FIE, Miami or Hawes, Los Angeles.

They are what they are. Forerunners to the Heritage Single Action, they are inexpensive plinkers. I keep one in the range box and use it to shoot up all the live ammo I pick up at the range, left from people with auto loaders who can't be bothered to pick up their dropped or fail to load ammo.

Just saw one on another forum get picked up for $65.00 that came with both a .22LR and a .22 Mag cylinder.

Dan R
  • xstuntmanxstuntman Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An early version of what now is Heritage Firearms in Florida, from all I've been able to find. X
  • 201stratosman201stratosman Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, it looks like the liberty 8 shown above, but in nickel. Thanks again
  • butlerjbutlerj Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi my dad just purchased a libtery 8 revolver at a gun show. It has wood grips and it appears to have a custom hammer. He bought it cause he wanted a project weapon for me to work on cause I am trying to become a gunsmith. Is there any place to get parts for this weapon?
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by butlerj
    Hi my dad just purchased a libtery 8 revolver at a gun show. It has wood grips and it appears to have a custom hammer. He bought it cause he wanted a project weapon for me to work on cause I am trying to become a gunsmith. Is there any place to get parts for this weapon?

Try Bob's Gun Shop in Royal AR. All he has is a on-line site, no catalog.