In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger Mini-14 scope mounts & bases

jsixshootjsixshoot Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited April 2011 in Ask the Experts
Folks,
I own a newer 581 series mini-14 ranch. I've decided that I hate the stock Ruger rings that came with the unit, and I'd like to come up with a better system. I've been looking at the receiver (weaver-style) side-mount units. I like the idea of being able to see under the scope to use the iron sights, and I like the idea of being able to quickly remove the scope for field-striping and to remount and still maintain something close to zero. However, the top-ranked B-square and UTG units have had mixed reviews which leaves me feeling like there may not be any very reliable options out there. I've stumbled across a similar model made by 'Eagle Intl.', but that company is apparently defunct now. Any good suggestions out there from you 'mini' experts?

Comments

• Options
    kc5gxckc5gxc Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got the rail that takes the place of the top handguard on my Ranch. Can't remember the name of it, but it's nice....and $$$ a few bucks. Got a red dot on it and can cowitness with iron sites thru the red dot....or you could mount a scout scope with see thru mounts on it.....or a pistol scope. This rail is long. It works great and is a very well built piece. (USA)
    Pete
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my experience the side mounts are too high and not stable. They do not return to zero. If using the sights and being able to remove the scope with a return to zero is the goal I'd say get a Weigand weaver type base and QD weaver rings.

I like being able to switch back & forth, use irons while a scope is mounted, but the compromise is putting the scope up high and loosing a good cheek weld. I have a few set up this way - and old Savage 99 & NRA Sporter with a G & H sidemount (please, no "aw damn" on the Sporter - Granddad did it about 75 years ago[:(]) and they work well but are mounted as low as can be. I don't think the Mini side mounts will accomplish the same.

The Amega rail and forward optic mentioned above is a good choice.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=amega+mini+14/t=P/ksubmit=y/Products/All/search=amega_mini_14
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    GG&G makes a picatnny mount that clamps directly onto the reciever. you can mount anything you like on your rifle useing one of em.

http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=241&parents=156
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got the UltiMAK on my Mini after the stock mounting beat up my scope. Basically spun the reticle. I also got A.R.M.S. Low Mount Quick Release scope rings so I can use the irons.
  • Options
    jsixshootjsixshoot Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jsixshoot
    Folks,
    I own a newer 581 series mini-14 ranch. I've decided that I hate the stock Ruger rings that came with the unit, and I'd like to come up with a better system. I've been looking at the receiver (weaver-style) side-mount units. I like the idea of being able to see under the scope to use the iron sights, and I like the idea of being able to quickly remove the scope for field-striping and to remount and still maintain something close to zero. However, the top-ranked B-square and UTG units have had mixed reviews which leaves me feeling like there may not be any very reliable options out there. I've stumbled across a similar model made by 'Eagle Intl.', but that company is apparently defunct now. Any good suggestions out there from you 'mini' experts?
    In case you folks are curious what I ended up with: Weigand rail, pair of Weigand rings, Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40mm BDC reticle. Everything works like a dream. This whole rifle is looking pretty good now. I tore all the plastic off, replaced with wood furniture, and installed a front swivel on the forearm, and mounted a UTG Bipod. It shoots pretty good too! Two-inch groups at 100 yds with Black Hills 69 gr matchkind HP. This baby is just about done, and it is time for me to take some pictures and post them here. See ya all soon.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Folks,
    In case you folks are curious what I ended up with: Weigand rail, pair of Weigand rings, Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40mm BDC reticle. Everything works like a dream. This whole rifle is looking pretty good now. I tore all the plastic off, replaced with wood furniture, and installed a front swivel on the forearm, and mounted a UTG Bipod. It shoots pretty good too! Two-inch groups at 100 yds with Black Hills 69 gr matchkind HP. This baby is just about done, and it is time for me to take some pictures and post them here. See ya all soon.

Good to hear. The Weigand is nice & solid. I happened to get an older 180 series walnut factory stock AND wood upper handguard too. Always liked wood much better than the synthetic stuff.