In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

BL-C vs WW748

5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
edited January 2008 in Ask the Experts
Every burn chart I have shows BL-C as slower burning than WW 748. Yet when I load my 223 with 748 I can make it to the max load, with the BL-C I am showing high pressures 2 grains less than the max load for BL-C. Go figure.

Comments

• Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My chart from Vihtavuori Laupa shows them about the same, heck they are even on the chart, but that doesn't really mean squat. You will even notice pressure differences in the same powder with different lots.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's BLC2 if it's the same thing.
    These are ancient powders. Mine is about 45 years old.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello GUYS you can get into deep DO DO loading with just going by BURN RATES. Smokeless powder is Progressive burn powder But this progression is not Linear. On top of that some powders are single base some double base some are flake some are ball and some are tubular. Burn rates are APPROXIMATE case size is a big factor between different kinds of powder listed with a similar burn rate.BE CAREFUL
  • Options
    edited November -1
    perry shooter completely agree!! My BL-C2 is definitely faster than WW 748 and a second point; the books are there only as a guide, start low and work your way up. Never Never start at or towards the top load!!
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thing you need to keep in mind about BL-C2 is that it peaks quite rapidly. When preasures start to climb, it takes only a little more powder to reach maximum levels. It's not as forgiving as WW748.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    XXcross I think you absolutely correct. At least that is my experience.