In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

L C Smith 20 gauge questions

jodividusjodividus Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
edited January 2008 in Ask the Experts
I am cleaning an LC smith 20 gauge SXS for a friend. He would like to know about it. Where can I find information as to what markings came during what years, it says L C SMITH FIELD GRADE on the right barrel and nothing more, and LC SMITH on both sides of receiver, and the serial number is on the frame under the barrels, and on the forearm. It is in very good condition, good wood, lots of blue on barrel, very light wear on receiverin places that i can clean, the bores are very good. It also has a white line rubber butt pad. any info on it would be appreciated, and value? thanks

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    With the serial number we can give you the year made[:)] You might want to put XX in place of the last two numbers of the serial but the correct number of digits
  • laxcoachlaxcoach Member Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In addition to what Perry Shooter said, be sure and include the serial number prefix (which I suspect is FWS). The white line pad is most likely an add-on.
  • jodividusjodividus Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the serial number on the forearm is 230XX the frame shows FWS230XX. are these fairly common, and does the value go down with the add on pad? thanks
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I think your shotgun was made 1919-1920 The recoil pad will hurtthe value But not as bad if the stock length is original and the pad was just added . If the stock was shortened it will hurt much more. Pictures and measurement from front trigger to the end of the wood could be a big help in value estimate.
  • jodividusjodividus Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hi perry shooter, you are helping me on this one also. thank you very much. The length of pull from the front trigger to the back of the wood where the new stock is attached is 14 1/4 inches, then it goes to 14 1/2 inch at about the middle of the buttstock. Is this about right for an original stock. The more I look at this, the more I want to make the guy an offer. I have tried to post pictures on this site before, but to no avail. I can email then from my computer tho.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make him an offer. In vgood condition it's worth $1500.
  • laxcoachlaxcoach Member Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WHOA
    the serial number prefix FWS makes this a Marlin era gun---1946-1950----specifically a 1946 gun. Not as desirable to a collector as a Hunter gun, and in the condition you describe I think V35's estimate is on the high end of value. You can get a replacement buttplate from several sources.