In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Discharge Papers?

rdgshdwerdgshdwe Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
edited January 2011 in Ask the Experts
I recently Came across This document. It seems to be some sort of discharge paperwork, Im assuming that it was presented at his death. It has a rip that runs the entire length of the document from the top middle to the bottom middle.

The Bottom left corner reads "published expressly for the Army and Navy Records Co."

The bottom right corner reads "Entered according to act of Congress in the year 1883 by the Pettibone Brothers MFG. Company in the office of librarian of congress at Washington."

Another thing that bothers me is the his Death date at the top of the document has been scratched out and rewritten.

Im very Confident that this document was not issued by the military, But I never know...

Everyone I've seen on this site has been really helpful in the past, I would Imagine that someone on this site would have some idea of what this thing is, even though its not a gun...and maybe even know what its worth. Any information would be appreciated!

100_0788.jpg
100_0787.jpg
100_0786.jpg
100_0785.jpg
100_0784.jpg
100_0783.jpg
100_0789.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments

• cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    GAR commemoration document.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are correct, it is not an "official document".

It is a Civil War veteran's memorial certificate, prepared after his death in the early 1900's. The Army and Navy Records Co was a commercial printer. He would have been given an official discharge paper when he mustered out, & THAT would have some real value today. Most likely it was lost or destroyed. In the late 1800's, many families took pride in posting some document on the wall to show that their ancestor had served during the Civil War, & this certificate was likely prepared by a family member.

As for the Library of Congress......even today you can pay to have a star named after yourself & have that fact "registered" in the Library of Congress. I assume that means very little.

I don't think that there is any "historical" value, but it's interesting & colorful, & would probably be of interest to a decorator working on a rustic steak house interior.

Neal
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Abraham O. Scott (First_Last)
    Regiment Name 2 Pennsylvania Infantry (3 Months, 1861)
    Side Union
    Company E
    Soldier's Rank_In Pvt.
    Soldier's Rank_Out Pvt.
    Alternate Name
    Notes
    Film Number M554 roll 108

http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/soldiers.cfm

As others have stated, it's a memorial document. You can see that it was presented to his children in 1908.
  • captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Grand Army of the Republic....
  • ChiefEaglesChiefEagles Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by captkirk3@dslextreme.com
    Grand Army of the Republic....

Grand Army of Northern Oppression [:(][;)]
  • cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That was an uncalled for comment! What a jerk!
  • JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Below is what the official, government issued discharge
    looked like from the Civil War era. Both these official
    and post-war discharge papers can have considerable value,
    but the soldier and/or regiment must have some notoriety
    (such as killed in action, fought at Gettysburg, etc.).

Johnny

DISCHARGE.JPG