In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 62A metal butt plate

rec0546rec0546 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited January 2011 in Ask the Experts
I came across this auction for a nice 62a a while ago, but what caught my interest was the butt plate in pictures 7 and 16. The reason I found this interesting was that I have a 62A made in the same year and with the same metal butt plate. If I'm not mistaken, this is a model 55 butt plate.
My books do not indicate that model 62's were ever so equipped, so I assumed that maybe mine had been switched, even though it fits perfectly. But when I saw this auction, I thought maybe the books overlooked something.
Does anyone know whether winchester shipped model 62/62a during the war with metal butt plates, rather than plastic?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=201060181

Comments

• Options
    merrbarbmerrbarb Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello rec0546:

Only two styes of buttplates were used during the production of the 62/62A. From 1932 to 1935 the all checkered steel butt plate was used. from 1935 until end of production the composition butt plate was used. The model 55 composition butt plate was somewhat truncated, that is shorter, than the 62 butt plate, so it could not be used. Of course I am talking about the "automatic" 55. The steel butt plate of the lever 55 had horizontal serrations in the middle between the screws, and was wider; entirely different from the all checkered model 62 (early) steel butt plate.

Although Winchester could have produced a few rifles with steel butt plates after 1935, it is unlikely this occurred since production ceased during the war years 1943-1945.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The serrated steel butt plate on your Model 62A and the one in the auction are original. That said, they were only used for a short period of time.

The serrated steel butt plate was first introduced in 1924, and was used on the Models 53, 54, and 55. When all three of those models were discontinued at the end of 1932, Winchester still had a lot of the butt plates still in inventory. Starting in late 1936, Winchester began using the leftover serrated butt plates on the Model 94, and also to a lesser degree on several other models. Winchester stopped using them in early 1946.
  • Options
    rec0546rec0546 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert, thank you so much for clearing that up. It has puzzled me for a long time, especially when the Schwing books made no mention of it at all. Your knowledge of Winchesters is impressive, to say the least. Thanks again.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rec0546
    Bert, thank you so much for clearing that up. It has puzzled me for a long time, especially when the Schwing books made no mention of it at all. Your knowledge of Winchesters is impressive, to say the least. Thanks again.

You are quite welcome[:)]
  • Options
    GunswapperGunswapper Member Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

I can't see any of the pictures in these posts. Can someone post them again? Thanks!