In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6-284

gissimogissimo Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
edited December 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have the opportunity to buy a custom made 6 - 284. It is the most accurate gun I have ever seen. Its got a 32" bull barrel built on a Mk 10 action. Currently I have seen 1" 5 shot groups shot at 400 yards outside. It gets about 3500 fps from a 100 gr bullet. My question is how long will it retain this kind of accuracy with that much powder capacity? Will it erode the barrel shortly making it shoot just like other firearms? It was built by Derrick Martin now from accuracy speaks (about 20 years ago) but never shot. It has about 300 rounds thru it so far. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Is it really that good? I read that 105 with reloader 22 (not positive of that load) can send out groups of .5 at 600yrds.

dgac
  • Options
    queeksdrawqueeksdraw Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1 inch @ 400 yards WOW.Where does the line start?

You'v gota kill it to grill it
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Beleive me, he knows what he has. Its VERY expensive. Thats why I want to know how ling it will stay that way.
  • Options
    taxmisertaxmiser Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can only relate my experience with the 6X284. I built one a 1910 Mexican 98 Mauser. Used a Douglas xx barrel with a 1/10 twist. It was extremely accurate for over 600 rounds then fell off quickly. By 750 rounds it was delivering 1 1/2" 100 yard groups. There was considerable erosion for the first inch and half. That was using the full velocity potential however.

Being a 6MM bore fan I designed a 6X60mm which has proven to be all that I had hoped for. With over 1200 rounds thru the tube it still groups around 1/2".

The old rule of thumb is still with us, the more powder you burn the sooner you replace the barrel.