In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger 10-22 or Marlin Model 60?

Revelation 1-8Revelation 1-8 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited December 2002 in Ask the Experts
Which is a better gun, the Ruger 10-22 or the Marlin Model 60? In quality, durability, and accuracy. I appreciate your responses in advance. Thanks...

Revelation 1:8
<><

Comments

• Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    10/22 hands down.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both are fine firearms, the 10/22 has many more accessories that can be added later if you desire....
  • Options
    Revelation 1-8Revelation 1-8 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know there is a cost difference in the two guns also. I am looking to buy a semi-auto 22LR and I don't know what to look for in this type of rifle as I do some of the higher calibers. I am looking to just have some fun with it mostly target shooting and also to teach my niece and nephew how to shoot. Are there any other semi-auto 22LR other than the Ruger 10-22 or Marlin 60 worth buying. Not looking to spend a lot of money on it at this time but would like something that has potential to be upgraded in the future. Thanks again...

Revelation 1:8
    <><
  • Options
    SG&A , INC.SG&A , INC. Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    10-22. The safety factor alone is why I say this. With the mag removed you can make sure the chamber is empty and know the weapon is unloaded. Conversely to load you just install a charged mag in the weapon, chamber a round and you are ready to fire.

STAY SAFE
  • Options
    gissimogissimo Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive owned both and both shoot great. Since the gun ban, isnt the number of mods you can do to a 10/22 cut WAY back? No flash supressor, folding stock.... In any event heres one thing you should look out for. With the model 60 I could not get my eye low enough on the stock to see thru the scope. I ground off the cheek piece tnd then I could. My son however finds the cheek piece just right on his 60.

On accuracy, I took the 60 to an indoor range and used a bench and a 9Xscope at 50 yards. When I pulled the target back my friends were laughing because the rings of the target were unmarked. Its then that I showed them the printers target symbol in the corner. It was a 1/2 inch dia target emblem. All 20 rounds had hit the target and left one hole. every one had been in that "target".
  • Options
    rscoleman88rscoleman88 Member Posts: 4,250
    edited November -1
    10/22 Never a jam or misfire in 15 years of squirrell hunting

Respect those who protect us now just as you would those who died for us in the past.
  • Options
    bhayes420bhayes420 Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have both, but find the ruger just too "small" for me. Both are great guns and will serve you well as plinkers. You can build the 10/22 into a real tack driver if you want to spend the bucks though. You asked about other makes...I like the savage auto's. The one I have shoots just as well as my others, but was quite a bit less expensive. Best to go to a gun shop and handle each one and see what YOU like best. Nearly all of them are good guns.

Taxation WITH representation isn't so hot, either!
  • Options
    sharkman8810sharkman8810 Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not an expert, but a great place for information on what you are asking is www.rimfirecentral.com There are rimfire experts there that will guide you to the right type of gun, and are pleasant to be in a forum with.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have both and the Model 60 shoots just as well the best I can tell.They are both good guns,but if I had to choose it would be the Ruger.

Happy New Year!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Marlin Mod 60, accuracy is amazing, only drawback is that tubular magazine. It's just a pain to load. I think if I would buy another one I'd get the marlin papoose magazine fed take down 22. The 10/22's are just fine too.

Regards,
    Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some aquatic ceremony. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart throws a sword at you!
  • Options
    alaskanmanalaskanman Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had both since the late 80's, the Marlin 60 seems to be more accurate once I got used to the trigger. It isn't as easy to clean or isn't as safe as a 10/22 because of the tube magazine but has a longer barrel and isn't as light. Both are great guns but I have to give the nod to the Ruger for quality and reliablity.
  • Options
    hobbisthobbist Member Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had four Rugers 10/22 and don't remember any problems with it ever. It is very nice rifle with good accuracy.
  • Options
    gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another option and one more in line with the 10/22 would be the Marlin 795. It is small and super light. It has a 10-rd. detatchable mag. Although it is not flush fitting like the Ruger and there are no hi-cap pre-ban mags available for the 795. I bought one last year and I love it. My father-in-law just bought a 10/22 and the trigger is VERY stiff. Marlin also offers a model 7000 which is a heavy barrel version w/ no iron sights.

-Marcus

***When the Second Amendment falls, the First will be sure to follow.***