In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Mag Trouble

IowaShooterIowaShooter Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
edited December 2002 in Ask the Experts
Just purchased two original Colt magazines, 7-rounders, for my Colt M1991A1 Series 80.
They don't work!
More specifically, they don't release when the button is pushed. I had to remove the mag with a pair of needlenose pliers upon making this discovery.
I compared the two mags in question with one of my own that has performed flawlessly for quite some time.
The only differences I could discern are that the base plate on the non-releasing mags is slightly thinner than on my mag. Also, on the bottom of the mag plates in question, there is an "M" stamped into the steel. My mag has no such marking.
Anybody got any ideas what gives?[?]

Comments

• Options
    RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Disregard the "M" and the thinner base plate....makes no difference. Take a look at the scratches and rubs from inserting the new magazines into the gun. Where these are rubbing should tell the tale. Sometimes new magazines will be slightly "bowed out" and rub inside the magazine well. When this occurs, it acts like they aren't releasing when you push the release button. They actually are, but they don't "fall" or sort of squirt down out of the gun at all. Then when you release the mag release button, it catches the mag again. This is because they are "rubbing inside the well" and are actually being held in place because they are too tight.

Where there are rub marks, pinch slightly with a pair of pliers. Be sure to place a piece of thin leather under each of the pliers' jaws so you don't mark the metal. It only takes a tiny bit of pinching to go a long ways......don't over squeeze! Generally, you can then fit the magazine into and out of the mag well until it works fine. It is a trial and error sort of thing. It seems the later 80 Series guns don't like the 7 round magazines in some cases. They seem to do fine with new 8 rounders, etc. Hope this helps you!

Fish Shudder at the sound of my Name!
  • Options
    jkksjkks Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [?] Back the grip screws out a little then try again some times you need to file them off a little[:D]
  • Options
    RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great Point, JKKS.....forgot to mention that!

Fish Shudder at the sound of my Name!