In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Which brand for an AR

emaparemapar Member Posts: 3
edited December 2002 in Ask the Experts
I am thinking about buying an AR15. I have priced Armalite, Bushmaster, DPMS, and Rock River but know nothing about them. I know that Bushmaster is a houshold name for AR 15 rifles. I also know that Armalite developed the modern AR from the M16 pattern and Colt adopted the AR nomenclature. What I don't know is anything about DPMS and Rock River and Olympic. I also need to know why Bushmasters are almost gauranteed to shoot under 1/2 MOA while Armalite claims to be the greatest AR maker and they only gaurantee 2 MOA groups. What are the quality differences. I am also thinking about building one. I am a fan of the FAL and the AR. I am going to build both soon but would like to buy one from a factory that I can work on and become familiar with first. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    While I am not an AR 'buff' I have owned a few of several different makes but the best one I had was a Bushmaster. It costed me a few more bucks (not much but a few more) I found it money better spent than on the cheaper models & mfg's.
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Bushmaster, Good accuracy, never had a jam or hiccup in mine. [:D]
  • SG&A , INC.SG&A , INC. Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt first and Bushmaster second. I have dealt with them all. My humble opinion.
    Welcome aboard!

STAY SAFE
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    That ain't your Daddy's Armalite. It was a newer AR clone manufacturing company that bought the rights to the Armalite name. I can't recall off the top of my head who this company was, but others here may be able to give more details.

My vote goes to Bushmaster. Good quality control and it's all milspec, giving you good parts and self gunmithing info availability.
  • 4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    I own a Bushmaster and love it. Dealer had a Colt right beside it but it was a $150 higher just did not see any difference.Colt probably resale higher but I do not sale a gun after I get it,so that does not enter the picture.

"It was like that when I got here,I think"
  • GPWEAPONGPWEAPON Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my colt a pre ban flat top would not shoot worth a flip had a custom upper built had the colt upper done over with a free float tube but have not had a chance to tune out a load. I would recommend the bushmaster for out of the box accuracy have never heard a bad word about one.
  • raskilraskil Member Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bushmaster...excellent product and outstanding customer service![:D]
  • raskilraskil Member Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bushmaster...excellent product and outstanding customer service![:D]
  • Rifleman.308Rifleman.308 Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Emapar: Having just gone through your situation myself (and having taken nearly a year to do it), I can offer the following comments. Choosing one of the ABC's (Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt) is like trying to explain why your favorite color is your favorite color. People just tend to have strong preferences toward one or the other. As for the rifles themselves, depending upon what you want to use yours for, they are pretty much the same.

Are you a National Match shooter? If so, choose Armalite (preferred by military NM shooters) or Bushmaster (selected for subsidy, along w/ Compass Lake rifles/uppers, by CMP for NM competitors).

Are you looking for investment? If so, choose Colt, which keeps its resale value better than any other.

Are you looking for a service rifle? Then buy any one of the ABC's and don't look back.

Me, I've chosen Armalite/Eagle Arms. Eagle Arms bought the Armalite name in the mid-90's and produces a fine rifle for the money. Their target rifle in .223, known as the M15A4(T), is remarkable for accuracy. I just liked the look and feel of the package better than the others.

Blue is also my favorite color, because I like the way it looks better than the other colors.

I'd also take a Colt or Bushmaster in a second and never look back.

In the end, you have to answer the question yourself.

For what it's worth.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say Rock River is on par with Bushmaster and Colt. I just got a LAR15 from them that shoots just as good as my Bushmaster. Cost about $200 less. If you do it right you can get a Rock River for $500 plus dealer mark up (say 20%), if you buy the upper and lower separate.

Edit, we have some of the DPMS A3's in the shop, fit and finish seems below Rock River & Bushmaster. My opinion of Colt is that you're just paying for the name.

Regards,
    Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some aquatic ceremony. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart throws a sword at you!