In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

?all around powder?

Lone WolfeLone Wolfe Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
edited December 2002 in Ask the Experts
Hello there ladies and gentleman.

First off let me thank you in advance for your info. I work nights so I won't be able to get back to you till tommorow.

Well here it is, the powder pop is using (2500) is VERY dirty. Now I am planning to start reloading the 243, 35 Rem, and the 270. I will be loading hunting rounds, as plinking for me is just pratice for the real thing and want the same balistics and such. so the real question is what powder should I be using? Now pls remember I am just getting in to this and need Brand names as well as the #. If you need more info then pls be patient with me and I will get back to you. Once again thank you so much for the info!!

Well i thought of something else that might help in your response. We also reload for a 38/357, and a 44mag carbine.

Comments

• 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Have always like IMR 3031 as a all around medium case powder
    http://www.imrpowder.com/reload.html
    I never load anything for pistol but Hercules Bullseye

cannon.gif
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    Grumpy Old Man
    Don't Feed the Trolls
    Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of All Those that Threaten it
  • old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    There is no such thing as 1 type of powder that will do it all.For rifle calibers hodgdon h-4895 can be used in a lot of different cartridges.it will work quite well in many but would only be the best in a few.In some,a very poor choice.In pistol cartridges -Hercules Unique comes to mind.Same as rifle--will work in quite a few,but not the best for many.I suggest you study several reloading manuals and see what powders are most commonly used.You should be able to get by with 2or 3 different powders for rifle and probably the same for pistol.Don't use any powder in any cartridge unless you see it listed in a manual.Hope this helps some.I am sure there are many others here who will be glad to share their knowledge and experience with you.
  • binderbinder Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You got 2 different animals. Pistol needs a fast burning powder like unique. while rifle can go with either 4064, 4895 or 4831. I use 4831 for 308, 30-06 7 mm mag. and I have seen loads for 223.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Actually, while not ideal, pistol powders CAN be used for rifles, eg: 6gr Bullseye and a 110gr bullet for the 30-06 is safe but will not do what proper rifle powders can. I like the aforementioned 3031 myself, as well as ACCUR 2460. Pistol I use Red Dot and Bullseye.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Unfortunately, your rifle calibers are from extreme ands of the scale. The .35 rem will do best with fast rifle powders. Alliant Reloader 7 is my favorite for it. For 243, varget would be my first choice. for the 270, Hogdon 4350 would be my first choice. I I had to choose 1 powder though, Hogdon Varget could be used successfully in all three.

For the pistol powders, Unique comes to mind, although it doesn't seem to meter well for me. Bullseye is a good choice for light loads.

A man with a gun is a CITIZEN, a man without a gun is a subject.
  • beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think richbug got it right. There would be a hell of a lot of compromise on the rifle calibers you listed; but if you went only with one powder VARGET would be my choice as well. Not perfect but more than adequate and if you got into either varmint or target shooting you would be well set up. Beach
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    THEIR IS NO SUCH THING AS ONE POWDER FOR EVERYTHNG, THAT'S WHY I HAVE ABOUT 24 DIFFERNT POWDERS, I WISH THEIR WAS ONLY ONE, I RELOAD FOR PISTOL, RIFLES AND SHOT GUN. IF YOU DO FINE ONE THAT WILL DO GOOD IN ALL PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    You could probably get away with one or two powders for your rifles but you may have to compromise on ballistic performance, you might not get the max performance out of all 3. Depending on the distance you plan on taking your optimum (by optimum I mean the range at which YOU as a shooter are able to hit your game without much trouble but still far enough away that you don't * your game) shots at I would take that into consideration then choose a powder that can fulfill those parameters in all 3 rifles. As far as the pistols go....same deal, are you wanting long distance performance, 100? 200? 300+ yards? Figure out your distances again and just pick a powder that can fulfill your realistic expectations for each. Granted you aren't going to get maximum performance out of your ammo but if you chose a powder that meets your actual shooting expectations at the distances you are shooting then you won't have anything to complain about.

But, if you truly want a "one powder that does it all" then you might look into black powder guns [:D] They actually make some very nice and well put togeather black powder hunting rifles these days that are as competative at big game as any other modern rifle.
  • king999king999 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as you are willing to accept some compromises, it IS possible to use one (or a limited number of) powders. I agree that 3031 is close to a winner for all three. I also like AA 2230 and 4064. Remember it IS true that you may not get optimum results, but you will certainly get very satisfactory results. I reload for 308, 30/06, 7.7J and 6.5J and iusually use AA2230 for all. I know that it is a bit too fast for the /06 and the 7.7, but since I only shoot targets at 100 yds, I am more than satisfied with the results.
    Have fun, be careful!
    Morty
  • Lone WolfeLone Wolfe Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thankyou very much all I dint realize the differances in all of this. and you give me lots to think about and buy wooo hooo[8D]
    [navy]HAPPY NEW YEAR!![navy][:p][;)][:o)][}:)]