In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

powder horns

cwfcwf Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
edited December 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have several,is there a web site where I can find value??

Comments

• Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am going to assume your horns are antiques rather than modern reproductions.

Most powder horns don't have much value, including the antiques. The possible exception would be a powder horn that once belonged to a famous person, but you would have to have that documented.

To determine values, I suggest you check boards that specialize in antiques, and not just antique firearms.

Respectfully,
    Rafter-S

"What is truth? No wonder jesting Pilate turned away. The truth, it has a thousand faces -- show only one of them, and the whole truth flies away! But how to show the whole? That is the question."
    --Thomas Wolfe, "You Can't Go Home Again" (1934)
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Personally, I think values can go quite high. Even new horns with no scrimshaw, carvings, etc. go for $30-$40 from catalogs. I have seen ornate, antiques go for $100 plus.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    Iroquois ScoutIroquois Scout Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Antique powder horns that can be proved to be antique can bring a lot of money. The most desirable horns are the carved map horns or Native Ameican carved horns. These can bring many thousands of dollars.
  • Options
    queeksdrawqueeksdraw Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As has been stated antique powder horns can be quite valueable, you most likely will not find a resorce on the web-net to state a value due to many fakes and scams. If you live near a mussium or university go to the person that is in charge of the dept. that your item falls under.ie: Early Amer. Hist.- American Antiquity. Talk to them, some of these folks are very well versed in the items you have ( esp. ones with lots of letters after there name like Phd.). They may not quote a value but they can put you in touch with someone that can. You will prob. end up paying to have a profesional appraisl done. You may want to visit a local library or antique shop where they have referance books about your items. Good luck with your search.

You'v gota kill it to grill it
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This guy's on-line he might be able to help you with your powder horns.

http://arms2armor.com/Flasks/flasks.htm