In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

,22 rimfire twist rates?

TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
edited December 2002 in Ask the Experts
I posted this over on the Gen Discussion board and didn't get much response. Any helpful expertise here?

I've noticed that some .22 rifles which shoot well with standard velocity loads won't maintain a decent group with the light bullet hyper velocity rounds. In particular, I have an older Colt .22 semiauto that groups hyper velocity rounds like a shotgun. I'm wondering if this might be due to differences in barrel twist rates between some of the manufacturers. Any knowledge on this?

Also, is there any difference in twist rates for rifles chambered for S-L-LR as opposed to rifles chambered for just LR? I'm assuming that the former has a twist rate designed to give a happy medium between the different bullet weights and the latter would be designed with the optimum twist rate for the heavier bullet.

Comments

• Options
    sharkman8810sharkman8810 Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    txs i dont know the answer to you question, but if you cant get a good answer here try www.rimfirecentral.com there are several pretty smart people there when it comes to rimfire guns. It is a very well run forum.
  • Options
    Iroquois ScoutIroquois Scout Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The twist rate for the .22 rimfire has been 1 turn in 16 inches snice at least 1859.
  • Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    I told him that over on the other forum, I guess he wants a better answer.
    The problem is some 22 like different brands of ammo, not the twist.
    High Speed 22 have never been as acurrate as Standard Velocity in any 22.
    Thats why they make match ammo.

a-fireworks2.gif
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    Grumpy Old Man
    Don't Feed the Trolls
    Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of All Those that Threaten it
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know about other manufacturers but Winchester had several different twists on their model 90s.

Short=1/20

long=1/20

L.R.=1/16

WRF=1/14

They also used a 1/24 for Cbs and special ordered some 22 Shorts with
    1/22

I got this info from Ned Schwing's book Winchester Slide Action Rifles Volume 1, Page 96. It goes into some depth on rifleing depth and twist.

Old? First you forget names; then you forget faces; then you forget to pull your zipper up; then you forget to pull your zipper down.
    standard.jpg