In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Affordable long range caliber?

hitman#1hitman#1 Member Posts: 127 ✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
Might start an arguement but I'm looking for input on a good long range cal. besides the 50! Which I cant afford to play with, wish I could.
JW

Comments

• rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    Have you considered the .308? .300 Win Mag? .338? Your cheapest calibers are going to be the 'normal' calibers like the .308 and .300 win mag and stuff. Ya know, crap you can find in walmart.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also consider the 7mm's. There are shooters using both 300 and 7mm in 1000 yard shooting.
  • gissimogissimo Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you stand tremendous recoil? I sold my 338 / 378 on gunbroker about a year ago. MANY organizations are going to them for long range sniping. (even some of the spec ops groups in the military) I have used them on elk at extreme distances and they all die before they hit the ground. They arent that expensive to have built off a magnum mauser action. Be warned however, with 300 grain bullets the recoil on a 11 pound gun was calculated out to 86 foot pounds, nearly 4 times as much as a 30 -06.
  • hobbisthobbist Member Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you consider Mosin-Nagant in 7.62x 54R it is really inexpensive.

Without Second amendment rest of the constitution is just a peace of paper.
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Gissimo, you cannot drive a 300 grain bullet fast enough from the 338/378 to generate 86 foot pounds of recoil from an 11 pound rifle. 60 foot pounds would be about maximum and that is if you could launch that bullet at 3000 FPS which cannot be done. I know, I had a 338/378 built on the BBK-02 action way before it bacame a factory round. Was only getting 3150 with a 250 Partition with 115 grains of H1000.

AlleninAlaska

He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
    -- Thomas Paine
  • greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    Hitman...

WHAT do you consider "long range"? I think then, the reponses could be more exact.
  • hitman#1hitman#1 Member Posts: 127 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    700 to 1000 yards
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well, the old 30-06 is regularly used in competition to 1000y. No need to go to the .50. Any 06 class round with proper bullet, load, and gun will hit the target even at that range.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • hitman#1hitman#1 Member Posts: 127 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whats some pro & cons for the 06 and the 308
  • Ricky3Ricky3 Member Posts: 87
    edited November -1
    There's really no need of such a gun or caliber, for civilians. The .50 is a big waste on men. Its main value is in holing water towers, propane tankes, big transformers (lets out the oil, then the transformer shorts-out and melts itself)big stacks of fuel-drums and liquid-fueld rockets, from 1/2 mile or more. Men are too mobile a target, too likely to be using cover, or else no real threat to you, and mirage, wind, etc make missing too likely to occur at such ranges. If you have to hit, better get closer. If you dont absolutely have to hit, why fire at all, or why cant you get closer, or send a dog with exposives under his collar? With these new shocker-collars, he can be taught to go nowhere but under the gas tank of black limos, you know.
  • cwinncwinn Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 308 is considered to be more inherintly accurate than the 'ought six, and the 308 will fit in a short action gun. That along with the fadt that 308 is used extensively by militarys throughout the world making surplus ammo plentiful make the 308 a superior choice in my opinion,

However, the 30-06 can handle heavier bullets than the 308 and gets 100-200 fps more velocity with comparable weights, so for hunting larger game the 30-06 may be the better choice. Hope this helps
  • Ricky3Ricky3 Member Posts: 87
    edited November -1
    Surplus ammo is too inaccurate to hit much of anything beyond 223 type distances (ie, 500m or more.) So that is no factor. However, the availability of Black Hills hpbt MATCH 308 ammo, at fairly good prices is perhaps a factor. More likely tho, you will have to reload for whichever "toy" caliber you choose for this fantasy.