In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Questions wrt Muzzle loaders ...

anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
I am going to have to get a muzzle loader for deer hunting in MA, and right now I am trying to research a bit in advance in order to make the right choice when the time comes. I have a pile of questions.

I have learned that you cannot use the Thompson/Center Encore during the Muzzle loader deer season in MA. (Too bad, that sounds like a mighty nice rig!) I am told that the three pyrodex pellet load tends to kick a lot, and I am not a long shot type of shooter (probably because I hunt in the woods). Also, since I am left handed, the bolt-type guns are less interesting to me.

What has been your experience and level of satisfaction with ... .50 calibre

Thompson/Center Black Diamond - 22 1/2" barrel?

Thompson/Center Black Diamond XR - 26" barrel?

Thompson/Center Black Omega .50 - 28" barrel?

Is barrel length important? (Seems to me that a lot of muzzle loaders are VERY barrel heavy.)

Would you say the Thompson/Center is a better muzzle loader than the Knight equivalent?

I'm thinking Stainless Steel barrel and cammo composite stock ... is that a good idea?

Do shooting clubs/ranges every complain about the smoke? Just curious.

Mega-thanks in advance.

Ken

Comments

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can help a bit. I have a TC Black Diamond standard configuration. I use the 209 shotgun primer for ignition and have no problems with pellets. Bore is tight, you will want a handle for your rod, and Knight makes a great one. At 150 grain equilivent you get recoil like a centerfire and accuracy suffers. Mine shoots best with 100 (2 50grain equivilent pellets) or 110 (a 50 and 2 30's). It does a fine job. A TC Hawken will also do a fine job, as will the Knight rifles. Seems to me that the SS barrel would kind of off set the advantages of camo, but that is just me. If possible get your hands on some of these front stuffers and go with what is comfortable and natural for you to handle and shoot. Most of the modern guns will do as good a job as you can. Good Shootin'!
  • gissimogissimo Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive hunted elk in central nevada for the last 5 years with a muzzle loader. Remingtons with 100 gr work fine out as far as I can see (its an open sights only season). I used a friends Knight last season and wasnt that wowed by it. The best one Ive used? The savage "smokeless" muzzle loader(ML 10 I beleive) It uses smokeless powder, shoots FLAT as far as I can see and has about 600 FPS advantage over all other ml's. You do have to get away from the "basting the barrel" line of thought. If you get grease in the barrel the smokeless powder will not burn correctly. It is a little finicky about grease in the barrel but other than that its WAY better than the others. If you live in a no smokeless powder state you can use 3 50 gr pellets in it.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some states won't let you use smokeless powder. South Carolina prohibits it. How they enforce it I don't know.
  • bem243bem243 Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an Encore that I'm very satisfied with and I had the opportunity to hunt with an Omega during an early muzzle loader season this year. The Omega, with 2 50 gr pellets proved to be very accurate both at the range and in the field. At the range the rifle would hold a 1-1.5 inch group at 100 yards even with my old eyes and bifocals. The rifle took a nice 11 point white tail at 136 yards for a one shot kill. One nice feature of the Omega is the swinging action works well from the right or left. You really can't go wrong with a T/C.

In our schools, if we train the mind and not morals we will unleash criminals on society...Dr. Benjamin Rush
  • binderbinder Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the fact that you cannot use a certain muzzleloader because of its style. Like the state says only # 11 cap style, or no new modern design bolt actions? You might try The Black Mountain Magnum, TC I believe[:o)][:o)]It has a pretty good balance and I do believe a scope will go on it. I have run across a lot of differant reasons and states regulations.[?][?][?]
  • ked-marked-mar Member Posts: 89 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess I'm from the old school, that muzzle loaders should look like the old muzzle loaders. I still carry a old Thompson Center Hawken, with no scope. The thing is heavy, but I've carried it many miles. it's not to bad with sling. I'm left handed also, but the hammer doesn't bother me. They make the Hawken in left hand model also, or ,they used to. I load her up with 85 grs. prodex, and a 240 gr. 44 mag. bullet, in a sabot.She will knock the stuffing out of any thing I've come across. Have fun.
    K.J.S.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you settle on a rifle andersk, try the Power Belt bullets. They will do a good job for you.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the helpful info already. And ... here are some other questions that I forgot to ask ... What is the Thompson/Center "Quick Load Accurizor?

What is the scoop on it? What does this feature do? Does it work or not?

Seems like I read a note a while back about Thompson/Center muzzleloaders, and the person said it messed up the accuracy and once it was removed the gun was more accurate. Could that really be the truth of the matter? (Seems like Thompson/Center lauds it as a very good feature!)

Mega-thanks in advance.[:)]

Ken