In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

undecided on 223

PemsPems Member Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
Have been looking at purchasing a 223 for varmits. Already have a 243 but have been shooting the you know what out of it. I use my 243 for antelope and don't want to put too many rounds through it. Question..should I purchase the 223 and keep the 243 or should I trade the 243 and use the my 270 (deer gun) on antelope. Is the 270 a wise choice for antelope and which weight bullet. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Have been looking at purchasing a 223 for varmits. Already have a 243 but have been shooting the you know what out of it. I use my 243 for antelope and don't want to put too many rounds through it. Question..should I purchase the 223 and keep the 243 or should I trade the 243 and use the my 270 (deer gun) on antelope. Is the 270 a wise choice for antelope and which weight bullet. Thanks.
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .270 is an excellent choice for both deer and antelope, especially with a bullet weight of 150 grians. That would be my preference.

If you can afford to keep the .243, and you like the way it shoots, then don't trade it off. It's a lot more fun to have 3 guns than 2. But, and here again it's a personal thing, if I could only have 2 rifles of the calibers you mention, I would go with the .223 and .270.

Respectfully,
    Rafter-S

"What is truth? No wonder jesting Pilate turned away. The truth, it has a thousand faces -- show only one of them, and the whole truth flies away! But how to show the whole? That is the question."
    --Thomas Wolfe, "You Can't Go Home Again" (1934)
  • Options
    purebreedrebelpurebreedrebel Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 223 is a great round and in my opion and the 243 is plenty of gun for antelope. but personaly i am a small bore person. For me no i would not go up to a 270 because one for the recoil and two because you allready gat a gun that does the job just fine. Once agine this is what i think and nothing more. also if your looking for a varmit round not to mess up the hide i would even go smaller than the 223. a 223 tears up a grey fox pretty bad. For short ranges a 17 or a 22 mag works wanders but you have to be a good shot. This is my input and not much more.
  • Options
    elkmaniacelkmaniac Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do your self a favor buy a 22-250 or a 220 swift you wont reget the change for velocity and accuracy not to mention the distance these guns will shoot
  • Options
    stringstring Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a .223 Varmint rifle and a 22-250 .I am thinking of getting ride of the 223.My 22-250 shoots better any day of the week.Keep in mind I only shoot custom hand loads.22-250 or 220 swift the only way to fly.
  • Options
    ka11ka11 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with "elkmaniac". The 22-250 is a better gun for varmits.

Can you substitute Cross-Hairs for lost hair? Bald is beautiful
  • Options
    cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    270 is a great choice for antelope....also dont trade guns for other guns just buy another gun [:D]cant have to many guns you know
    also look at my post in gen diss under chrono results ...they are between 22-250 with 55gr nos bal tip and 243win with nos bal tips kinda interesting about the velocitys each make
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just My 2 Cents, Keep your Eye on the new 223 WSSM. It looks like its going to be a great Varmint load over the standard .223

The 150 gr. for your .270 is a great load for just about everything
    in North america. Its My choice[:D]

gun.gif

NRA Life Endowment Member
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sell them all and use one rifle. A heavy barrel 25-06.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone for the great comments. I have decided that I will probably go with either the 223 or 22-250 in a savage model 12 FLVSS. Had some success in the past with savage and will try again.

Select fire- thanks for the advice, but as it has been stated before..You can never have to many guns!!!!!

Happy new year all.
  • Options
    hunter223hunter223 Member Posts: 628 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep the .243 and buy a .223. The .243 and .270 are both very good deer rifles. I have a .223 that I use for varmints and deer. It does a pretty good job on deer. It is a very good varmint rifle. If you sell your .243 you will regret it later.